2 midi controllers to control independent track in logic pro x (not recording) for live performance

homolama
Go to solution Solved by redgreenblue,

HI there i hope you are all well and happy , thanks for tons of useful information on this forum, however i somehow cannot get working my live set up with logic pro x and did not found workaround for this issue im having on internet or here so i do hope someone here can help . thanks guys . 

1.so i do have 2 midi keyboards Akai mpk 249 and oxygen 25 my plan or imagination is to set them up in logic pro x  so that i can play live and  control certain parameters / values of effects plugins on audio track or midi track instruments , play midi instruments on instrument  tracks  or control midi effects all independently  (so it is mix control this and that   situation)  .

so for example i would like to be able to set oxygen 25 on the drum buss track  to be able to control mute .solo, eq, and other creative plugins parameters on that track  .

and my MPK 249 will be on another audio or instrument track controlling  plugins effect parameters  ,solo ,mute , or it can be  on instrument channel controlling parameters of plugins but to be also able to play synth/piano  

2.I did set up oxygen 25 to send midi information on midi track 3 and  i left mpk249 to send midi information on midi channel 1 . i did change the midi channel in tracks i like to control  in  information pane of logic pro x to correspond with midi keyboard send information . so midi 3 and 1 respectively .oh i also tick the box project setting window in recording to demix track by midi channel 

3.  so problem arise here if i deselect track with oxygen 25, track controlled by oxygen 25 will stop receiving midi info and the same happen to track controlled by  mpk249 . therefore i cannot control different track at the same moment  with 2 different midi controllers, as its seem one of the track in logic need to be selected to receive midi info  .and despite channel configuration both will transmit information on selected track or  play on selected track . 

4.im quite confident with environment and happy to program with transformer object but still cannot split those two keyboard into independent entities  so that they work independently without track selection or track needed to be selected 

5. i have had some success to connect cables from physical input  straight to a channels i planing to control but again when i deselect the channel i also loose the midi control possibilities 

how can i do it is there way actually to make this work .

i planing to play as 4 people band but 2 of them i was thinking to play with logic pro x and controlling parameters in logic pro . 

is there any way to do it , i watch and read bit on internet on how to record  but the track has to be in record mode and these are midi channels my channels are audio or busses or instruments tracks  with plugins and creative effects and i cannot record enable them or can i ? 

did someone here played live with logic pro ?i did it before but with one keyboard and it was very easy to set up but now im lost with using 2 keyboard they or play simultaneously or only one at the time on selected track but never independent  .

thanks for help hope there is someone who knows thanks guys for all 

hi redgreenblue and thanks for reply i did read the forums and sorry i got lost i guess or i did not get it , what i would like to do is to use one logic pro x in one computer with two keyboards 2 people playing manipulating controlling separate track, lets say track 1and 2  at the same time simultaneously. at the moment whenever i deselect track i loose control abilities for that track . simple i just would like to 2 people control 2 different track at the same time and what ever track is selected not loose control of the track they controlling despite they are not selected hope you got me thanks boy 

1 minute ago, homolama said:

hi redgreenblue and thanks for reply i did read the forums and sorry i got lost i guess or i did not get it , what i would like to do is to use one logic pro x in one computer with two keyboards 2 people playing manipulating controlling separate track, lets say track 1and 2  at the same time simultaneously. at the moment whenever i deselect track i loose control abilities for that track . simple i just would like to 2 people control 2 different track at the same time and what ever track is selected not loose control of the track they controlling despite they are not selected hope you got me thanks boy 

Is this in Logic Pro 10.7.4?

• Solution

I think where you are getting mixed up is which object you choose for the Main screen and you still have the cable running from the 'Sum' at the top of the Physical Input in clicks and ports. 

Go to Clicks and Ports, disconnect the cable running from Physical Input 'Sum' from the Input Notes keyboard icon.

Create a midi instrument object, name it Keyboard 1. Cable to whatever plug in channel you want to control with keyboard 1. Run a cable from the Physical Input directly to Keyboard 1 midi instrument object. Do the same thing for Keyboard 2. Make sure that both of the midi instrument objects are 'Assignable', there is box to tick that will make them so. You now have the keyboards directly wired to those channel strips, nothing you do in the Main window will matter as long as you have the cable from the Sum at the top of the Physical Input disconnected. 

This is the simplest version of this. I use Monitors in-between everything to make sure I can see what is going on. Monitors also make for very easy cable splitters, so you can cable to multiple channel strips. The midi instrument object can also be set to specific note range and midi channels, so you can create one for each sound for keyboard splits, transpositions, lots of things. 

You can assign the midi instrument objects to the Main window by creating a new track, doesn't matter what kind, right click to reassign that to a different object and select 'Keyboard 1' or 'Keyboard 2' from the menu that popped up when you right clicked. 

Or use MainStage, it was built exactly for this purpose. 

Hi redgreenblue super cool i try your suggestion . i did disconnect sum and run cable from physical input of oxygen25 and akai mpk249 cable connectors of physical input to monitors object to confirm they run on midi  channels i set them up for,  with oxygen on channel 3 and and akia channel 1 . then i run cable from monitor direct to track i like to control and configure them to receive on correspondent midi channel of oxygen and akai but it is not working ;-)) ok ok ok super cool im going to try your suggestion thanks man and sorry for perhaps a simple task not being able to resolve quickly thanks man .let you know as soon as i can thanks 

HI redgreenandblue thanks so much i did try and  it is working perfectly thanks so much. i will try tomorrow to play  bit more as it is quite late now here . thanks man hope i can tomorrow try some combination and so on  . if i have any question i hope you do not mind if i ask again you in here .thanks man