Logic Pro 10.7.5 is out!

David Nahmani

Unfortunately mine auto updated, and Logic Pro X 10.7.5 is not working well at all. I have a Mac mini M1 system running Ventura 13.1 Beta, and up until this updated Logic worked quite good. Now, It no longer opens my select template screen (or any screen when loading. Just the drop down menu). When I do start a new project (have to click new from the drop down menu, no splash screen or anything when Logic first opens) the playhead doesn't move during recording, and is spotty during playback. Everything works super slow, and the rewind option does not work, playing is hit or miss, the meters are froze, etc. It's a complete mess. I uninstalled and reinstalled, but it's the same thing. Not sure what to do here. 

I've had to recreate a couple of templates as well because for some reason my external midi tracks that use the external instrument plugin stopped sending midi out for those tracks.

Regular external midi tracks from the same templates work fine. (those without the external instrument plugin).

Also, the displayed midi destination was 'off by one' in them all... meaning, they displayed the next midi port down on my midi interface (1 became 2, 2 became 3... 5 fell off to being unassigned as it was the last port on the microlite). Putting them back didn't make them transmit though.

I've recreated my (few) templates and created a new MIDI configuration (audio/midi) since it had some old controllers in it. Seems stable now.

Also, I can attest that copying and pasting program names in the environment for multi-instruments no longer leads to logic suddenly disappearing. 🙂 Still hope I never have to do that again.

Also, I can attest that copying and pasting program names in the environment for multi-instruments no longer leads to logic suddenly disappearing. 🙂 Still hope I never have to do that again.

Edited by zevo

Hi updated on my laptop but my desktop won't update as can only run Big Sur. 

If I do not use the nested track stacks will these 2 versions still be compatible when I transfer between the computers?

I want to be able to use some of the other features ideally 😉

1 hour ago, abiwg said:

Hi updated on my laptop but my desktop won't update as can only run Big Sur. 

If I do not use the nested track stacks will these 2 versions still be compatible when I transfer between the computers?

I want to be able to use some of the other features ideally 😉

as @Atlas007 pointed out, above. test it yourself! usually, newer versions of apps open older files, and not always the other way around. 

if you use something unique to 10.7.5, an older logic version has no way to decipher that. but try it out, and let us know how it goes...

• Like 1

On 11/3/2022 at 9:21 AM, Kjell Inge said:

Hello! New guy here. 😀 Am I the only one – or do others also have a problem pasting Channel Strips to multiple tracks? I have voice over projects with hundreds of tracks, where I need to Export All Tracks as single audio files with each track having its own set of more or less identical channel strip settings. Up until 10.7.4 I could copy the settings from one strip, Select All (cmd+A) in the mixer, and use the key command Opt+Cmd+V to paste these settings to all the tracks at once. A real timesaver. In 10.7.5 that seemingly doesn't work anymore on my Mac (MacBook Pro 2021, M1 Max.)

Anybody else noticed this? Ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Just a quick update: I rolled back to 10.7.4, and in that version, Opt+Cmd+V works fine to paste Channel Strip settings to multiple tracks. Hopefully, the absence of that key command in the Mixer is a bug in 10.7.5 – and not something that was deliberately removed.

Could someone give me a pointer: how do we report bugs the best way?

Thanks, 
Kjell Inge

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kjell Inge said:

Could someone give me a pointer: how do we report bugs the best way?

You can use Apple's official feedback form to report your bug, they go directly to the Logic team at Apple: https://www.apple.com/feedback/logic-pro.html

I've reproduced this bug in 10.7.5. I fired Logic 10.7.4 just to double-check and the key command Paste Channel Strip Setting works on multiple selected channel strips. 

5 minutes ago, Kjell Inge said:

Hopefully, the absence of that key command in the Mixer is a bug in 10.7.5 – and not something that was deliberately removed.

I certainly hope so, I can't imagine whey they would deliberately remove this function - although it's odd that the corresponding menu entry never worked on multiple selected channel strips. Hopefully that part was the bug. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

You can use Apple's official feedback form to report your bug, they go directly to the Logic team at Apple: https://www.apple.com/feedback/logic-pro.html

I've reproduced this bug in 10.7.5. I fired Logic 10.7.4 just to double-check and the key command Paste Channel Strip Setting works on multiple selected channel strips. 

I certainly hope so, I can't imagine whey they would deliberately remove this function - although it's odd that the corresponding menu entry never worked on multiple selected channel strips. Hopefully that part was the bug. 

Thanks!

Done.

• Like 1

I've had the problem since 10.7.5 (Monterey, M1 Mac Studio Ultra, Magic Mouse) that the automation in some projects doesn't react immediately - i.e. after clicking and moving the automation point nothing visibly happens - only after releasing the mouse button. That's annoying. It doesn't happen in all projects, and sometimes the problem appears after a while.
I disabled better snap tool, that's not the reason.
A workaround is to toggle the track between track and region automation. (edit: but does not always work)
Does anyone else have the same problem - and maybe even a solution? Or is that a bug?

Edited by HoraceWimp

On 11/4/2022 at 11:26 PM, anp27 said:

Has anyone figured out if there's a way to record MIDI FX without having to play the notes in? It would be great if I could place a pre-recorded MIDI region on the track with an Arp MIDI FX plugin on it, hit Record and the arp'ed notes would be recorded directly onto the track. Anyone?

I'm trying to have a go at this to see if I can figure something out that's not just another workaround.  I have a question for anyone who has used the MIDIfxFreeze product (which I have not) - does it do exactly what @anp27 says here?  In other words, if you have a pre-recorded MIDI track, enable MidiFXFreeze on that track, hit record, will it overwrite the existing MIDI with the new, affected MIDI?  Or does MidiFXFreeze send the affected MIDI to a new track?

EDIT- never mind, I went to their website and I see how it works now. 

Edited by Nola111
I like edits.

Not sure if this has been said previously here, but how's the playhead behaviour going for you guys? 

Playhead is quite glitchy here when playing/stopping. It always plays from the same last position and I have to move it manually in order to keep going from where it last stopped.

Also working with auto punch-in is a mess. It always starts recording from the marquee position, even if I put the playhead back...

I was pretty excited with this update but this glitch is taking so much time I might have to stick with 10.7.4 for a little longer. Glad I backed it up.

15 minutes ago, rafesco said:

Also working with auto punch-in is a mess. It always starts recording from the marquee position, even if I put the playhead back...

Please long-click the auto punch button and make sure you have "Marquee Selection Engages Autopunch Recording" unchecked. And/or long-click on the play button and make sure you have "Play From Marquee Selection" unchecked

Edited by polanoid

8 minutes ago, polanoid said:

Please long-click the auto punch button and make sure you have "Marquee Selection Engages Autopunch Recording" unchecked. And/or long-click on the play button and make sure you have "Play From Marquee Selection" unchecked

Yes, everything was as you mentioned. I just reverted back to 10.7.4 and it's working properly now.

Here's an example the expected behaviour for autopunch (up to 10.7.4):
1. Marquee click bar 2
2. Put the playhead on bar 1

3. Hit R to start recording. Playback will start from bar 1 and audio will be recorded from bar 2 because auto-punch was engaged due to the marquee selection.

In Logic 10.7.5, what happens is:
1. Marquee click bar 2

3. Hit R to start recording. Playback will start from bar 2, not 1, and start recording immediately.

As for the playback when using spacebar for play/stop, it always starts from the last locate position in 10.7.5, regardless of me having "play from last locate position" unchecked.

Edited by rafesco

8 minutes ago, rafesco said:

In Logic 10.7.5, what happens is:
1. Marquee click bar 2

3. Hit R to start recording. Playback will start from bar 2, not 1, and start recording immediately.

I cannot reproduce this behavior here? 10.7.5 behaves the same as 10.7.4 in that regard, except for the Autopunch mode not being turned on: playabck starts at bar 1 and recording starts at bar 2. 

Just now, polanoid said:

This of course depends on how you defined the key command for the space bar

Default Logic setting. "Play or Stop" (see screenshot).

Clearly a glitch to me, because I went back to 10.7.4 without changing any settings at all and the behaviour went back to normal...

Screen Shot 2022-11-09 at 13.18.17 PM.png

11 minutes ago, polanoid said:

In that case this is not reproducible here. When I have Space set to "Play or Stop" and uncheck "Play from Last Locate Position", playback starts from where the playhead is.

I went to 10.7.5 again to test it out, still going back to the original locate position (see attached screen recording).

Weirdly enough though, autopunch behaviour suddenly went back to normal now. Only the playhead is weird.

Link to video:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vldTEyqcm0aKVVope6wXKcCKQ4uKgAC2/view?usp=sharing

By the way, you may notice that the track had flex time enabled, which I turned on by accident. It also happens with flex turned off.

Edited by rafesco