Logic Pro 10.7.5 is out!

David Nahmani

Thanks for the suggestion regarding deleting the preferences file guys, I might try that soon.

I’m a bit afraid of what that could cause though. What preferences would I be resetting to default exactly? Only those under Logic Pro > Preferences (now called Settings for some reason lol)?

If I back up the prefs file somewhere else, am I able to easily get them back after deleting if I want?

Edit: I just checked the "Stop" button options as polanoid suggested and, in fact, "Stop and Go to Last Locate Position" got checked in 10.7.5 for some reason. I switched to "Stop" only and the behavior went back to normal.

I was in a production session today and the autopunch issue happened again though. I hope it doesn't come back again. I'll post here in case it does.

Thanks for the help!

Edited by rafesco
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, polanoid said:

I'd be curious to know how logic would even be able to open and read such a "corrupted" file. Keep in mind this is just a plist, i.e. a linear list of keys and values, with no relation between the individual entries. I totally fail to see how some kind of "corruption" could make its way into it without making it totally unreadable. But, as stated multiple times now, send a corrupted file and I'll stand corrected 8but also I will have learned something, namely how this can happen at all.

You have no idea whether a particular combination of states that should be mutually exclusive might trigger some unforeseen behaviour in the program. Just as one imaginable scenario. 

Another might be an unexpected end of file, which would result in a perfectly fine and readable file, but a bunch of relevant settings might simply not exist, causing problems when they are called — but only then. 

Or the file might be fine and readable, but contain garbage somewhere that might get read as a variable and cause other weirdness. 

IANAD, but I do know that expecting specific data in a specific format and not bothering to make sure that it conforms *exactly* to those expectations (say, because your own program wrote the data in the first place) can be a problem eventually if something goes wrong.

I just found out what's up with the autopunch/marquee glitch I mentioned yesterday.

The "Play from Marquee Selection" option is affecting the Record command. It makes the playback start from the marquee selection when i hit R. This basically renders the "marquee line engages autopunch" feature useless, because it will always make the playhead jump to the marquee selection (instead of where I wanted it to start) and start recording straight ahead.

Just made a video showing the issue: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zOnLmV0Z9wVGE3cCxPtI6UlKGFTdScoY/view?usp=sharing

In the meantime, the workaround for this is to deselect "Play from Marquee Selection" when using "marquee line engages autopunch".

This is disrupting my workflow quite a bit though. 

PS: I did delete the preferences file as suggested earlier, but the issue persisted.

Edited by rafesco
  • Wow! 1

10 hours ago, rafesco said:

I just found out what's up with the autopunch/marquee glitch I mentioned yesterday.

The "Play from Marquee Selection" option is affecting the Record command. It makes the playback start from the marquee selection when i hit R. This basically renders the "marquee line engages autopunch" feature useless, because it will always make the playhead jump to the marquee selection (instead of where I wanted it to start) and start recording straight ahead.

Just made a video showing the issue: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zOnLmV0Z9wVGE3cCxPtI6UlKGFTdScoY/view?usp=sharing

In the meantime, the workaround for this is to deselect "Play from Marquee Selection" when using "marquee line engages autopunch".

This is disrupting my workflow quite a bit though. 

PS: I did delete the preferences file as suggested earlier, but the issue persisted.

good find! Did you report it to Apple already?

1 hour ago, jonparadise said:

I'm not sure if this is a recent thing or if I've just noticed it, but does everyone else have a block of space at the top of mixer channels above the 'Setting' button?

The top of the mixer always used to be flush with the top of the button; it seems like a lot of wasted space now.

Yes, you're right. You can resize the Mixer by dragging the divider line between the Mixer and the Tracks area, however by default the Mixer is a bit too tall compared to 10.7.4. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

Yes, you're right. You can resize the Mixer by dragging the divider line between the Mixer and the Tracks area, however by default the Mixer is a bit too tall compared to 10.7.4. 

Not just me then! I used to be able to double-click the top of the mixer window which would automatically resize it to fit, but that seems to close it instead now.

5 hours ago, jonparadise said:

Not just me then! I used to be able to double-click the top of the mixer window which would automatically resize it to fit, but that seems to close it instead now.

Not just you. This behaviour can't be desired, it's BS. It used to resize exactly to what is needed, if there was enough space, like on a big 4K display. Now it does something ugly/space-wasting, plus it doesn't automatically show 2 or 3 lined track names in the bottom, either. 👎🏻

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, darudevil said:

Not just you. This behaviour can't be desired, it's BS. It used to resize exactly to what is needed, if there was enough space, like on a big 4K display. Now it does something ugly/space-wasting, plus it doesn't automatically show 2 or 3 lined track names in the bottom, either. 👎🏻

I'm seeing 2-3 line track names and notes in my template.  

948271743_Screenshot2022-11-16at8_30_57am.png.2e1a1c68f837028a20f2ad975a9aef78.png

Have you saved your desired setup/view as a User default??  There were a few  things I needed to update after the update, maintain the views I had in my user templates.   For example, due to some additions and new options in the top bar of the arrange window, I needed to update my User default for that one.

50 minutes ago, mattrixx said:

I'm seeing 2-3 line track names and notes in my template.  

948271743_Screenshot2022-11-16at8_30_57am.png.2e1a1c68f837028a20f2ad975a9aef78.png

Have you saved your desired setup/view as a User default??  There were a few  things I needed to update after the update, maintain the views I had in my user templates.   For example, due to some additions and new options in the top bar of the arrange window, I needed to update my User default for that one.

I *CAN* see the 2-3 lines (and notes if I used them), but I have to scroll to them, when my mixer is the proper height ie. the above mixer dead space removed by making the window smaller (or like it was before 10.7.5). Opening the mixer it defaults to showing that damn blank space, so I have to scroll down. Yes, I can resize the window to have the dumb extra space, lock it, but it’s then showing that extra space, which I do not wish to see nor take the unnecessary real estate.

3 minutes ago, darudevil said:

I *CAN* see the 2-3 lines (and notes if I used them), but I have to scroll to them, when my mixer is the proper height ie. the above mixer dead space removed by making the window smaller (or like it was before 10.7.5). Opening the mixer it defaults to showing that damn blank space, so I have to scroll down. Yes, I can resize the window to have the dumb extra space, lock it, but it’s then showing that extra space, which I do not wish to see nor take the unnecessary real estate.

Can. you post a screen capture of what you mean by that?

7 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

Are you referring to this David?

1539897338_Screenshot2022-11-16at9_35_31am.png.f94a132dc7bb54e88fc61a3bdf7e66b0.png

If you re-save your screenset with the way you want it, does it work?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Atlas007 said:

Can. you post a screen capture of what you mean by that?

Not in the studio anymore. Will do when I have a chance, but I don’t appreciate the unnecessary 3 centimeters or whatever, 2-3 plug-ins worth of space that is just taking real estate. I have very little tolerance for dumb stuff that huge companies like Apple should not let out at all. 

• Like 2

Yes, the dead space is definitely there - it makes me wonder if there is some new element in the channel strip coming in some future version, and the extra space wasn't accounted for and removed in the shipping build...

You can of course resize the mixer window accordingly and the size sticks, but this doesn't help that much as the vertical size of the mixer panel will grow or shrink according to inserted plugins and busses etc, so you probably need to keep juggling if you want to cut out the dead space.

It's not something that particularly bugs me, but I can see how it might annoy others a bit.

Edited by des99
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, des99 said:

Yes, the dead space is definitely there - it makes me wonder if there is some new element in the channel strip coming in some future version, and the extra space wasn't accounted for and removed in the shipping build...

You can of course resize the mixer window accordingly and the size sticks, but this doesn't help that much as the vertical size of the mixer panel will grow or shrink according to inserted plugins and busses etc, so you probably need to keep juggling if you want to cut out the dead space.

It's not something that particularly bugs me, but I can see how it might annoy others a bit.

I wondered that too. It’s about the size - maybe a bit bigger - as the space for the EQ thumbnail, so maybe there’s a new gizmo due to go there that isn’t complete yet.

Edited by jonparadise

1 minute ago, David Nahmani said:

But you can still resize it manually right? By dragging the blue line at the top of the Mixer area on your screenshot. 

Yes I can. The problem I find then is that the mixer window sometimes 'scrolls' if I move over it using my magic trackpad. As it thinks there is more content than there is. It's no biggie but can be a bit annoying when it happens.

• Sad 1