Unexpected piano sound from MIDI controller

Quechua

Hi folks, question that I expect is really simple but I can't work it out for the life of me!

I have two MIDI controllers - Nektar Impact GX61 and Komplete Kontrol S88. I use Logic with a brand new, high spec Macbook Pro. 

My issue is: when I connect the controllers, I get an unexpected piano sound on the keyboard when playing. In other words, if I'm playing a violin sample in Logic, I get Violin plus Piano. The piano doesn't carry through to the recorded version but it's enough to put you off when you're trying to e.g. play string instruments with expression controllers, going from very quiet volumes - and you can't hear it because of the piano sound!

I thought it must be something to do with MIDI Controller local sound generation etc - but I don't think that applies to either controller (which otherwise aren't capable of independent sound generation). I've been through lots of different options but I just can't find something that fixes the issue. I thought it might just be a logic issue but then today I'm able to play the keyboard sounds before I even open up Logic to load in a sample. Oh and in Logic I've checked it with a project with a single violin track - but I still get the piano sound as well (so it's not that I've got a second piano track selected at the same time etc).  

I know this must be a really simple thing to fix but ... please help! I can't find the answer anywhere for some reason. 

Thanks!

That suggests that you have another audio software running,

Thanks - yes, I wondered that as well since that would make sense. But the only other thing I can find on my Mac is Arturia's Piano V2 software which is definitely closed. I wondered if there's something in these keyboards that auto generates a noise, but again, I don't think that's the case (and hasn't been in the past).  

Is the *sound* of the piano coming through Logic's mixer, or not? (Just watch the meters).

If not, it's not something that's happening inside Logic, but instead is on your system - especially if it's happening without Logic even running.

Edited by des99

Hey des99, thanks for the reply. Yeah, it happens outside Logic so it's something on the system by the looks of it. Bit of a puzzle since I've looked through the audio settings etc and - some of the time - it doesn't play a sound, and sometimes it does. It's definitely got me stumped. 

hmmm, just turned off laptop / keyboard / speakers and then reloaded. The piano sound is gone now. Maybe it's just a good old-fashioned case of things being fixed by a simple reset! Will try that again the next time it happens (instead of spending the time going through the settings etc!)