Use of text whilst scoring in Logic Pro.

tsengil
Go to solution Solved by volovicg,

I'm a composer running Logic 10.0.7 on  Macbook Pro with OS 10.9.5. I've noticed there is no way to anchor text to a point in time or to a graphic point in a bar. So if I write "sulla corda" above a note and then change the lay-out to make an easier page-turn, the text can drift away and I have to reposition it. After doing this a number of times I typically find there are bits of loose text that I can't erase. Worse still, this text is only visible sometimes, but always appears if I either click on an existing text or open the print window. So then the invisible but unerasable text shows up in my Pdf.

Any answers to this? 

Does your text appear in the Event List editor? If so it should move along with the notes events. You could also delete the unwanted text elements from there. image.thumb.png.a1a49f1896fb1bb01bf176c8a32aad5d.png

It is also important that the text elements are within the system they pertain to. Adjusting the headroom may be necessary.image.thumb.png.eae467d442efb9990d43f23cd28d04b6.png

Using guide lines is often useful to ensure in which of the areas (score, margin, header, …) the text element will land.

Edited by Atlas007

Make sure you have show guidelines on for selected objects so you can see where the text is anchored - and you can select all your text items and enable the lyric checkbox in the inspector and now it will stay as you change the format. You should do this for any text that is anchored to a measure/bar/note that is not anchored to the page (free zone, header etc) 

then as you change the format it won’t screw up the text 

Thank you for these suggestions. Typically the unwanted text does not appear in the Event List, so cannot be erased there. Some text can be erased after selecting appropriate staffs in Staff Styles and increasing space above or below to 999. But not all. And there is still the problem of text that is invisible in Logic then appearing in the Pdf. I have turned the "use external font" option off, but this doesn't solve that problem.

• Solution

If you zoom all the way out and enable "guides for all objects" if there is a misplaced text object off the page but anchored to a measure - you will see the guide line. If the text is anchored to the Top, Free, Header Zones, etc - you will see them where they are positioned. You should have show guides for selected objects on when you insert a text object so you can clearly see where the object is getting anchored then this issue won't occur. Using the pencil tool instead of dragging the text in also mitigates this issue. I tend to use the part box and drag - but I always can see where the guideline is attaching.... Hope that helps.

image.thumb.png.8ae50007bda7e6854693a51f40394484.png