Comping while recording

blizzu

I’m very eager to be able to comp meanwhile I record. Any way this is possible? This really HAS to be added as it would do nothing but make it so extremely much faster to comp while in a session. For any session I want to make the artist and songwriters as comfy and hyped as possible and the idea of having a done comp, the second the artist leaves the room - game changer. So please let me know if possible! 

Could you be more explicit?

The way I. understand it, comping is editing different takes after they have been recorded over and over, picking the most interesting snippets among the repeated takes; ending up with a composite track.

How would you do that while recording those takes? To what purpose?

Edited by Atlas007

On 11/15/2022 at 9:52 PM, blizzu said:

I’m very eager to be able to comp meanwhile I record. Any way this is possible? This really HAS to be added as it would do nothing but make it so extremely much faster to comp while in a session. For any session I want to make the artist and songwriters as comfy and hyped as possible and the idea of having a done comp, the second the artist leaves the room - game changer. So please let me know if possible! 

There's the "Select previous section for realtime comping" key command, but it seems to be a bit clunky and limited.

It works like this: If you hit that key command and the recording actually does end up in a Take Folder, when you finish the recording, a comp segment will be created ending at the position where you hit the key and starting at either the begin of the recording or the position where you hit the key previously.

Biggest limitation of course is that, if you simply record one take on a yet empty track, which will not result in the creation of a Take Folder, the key command will yield no result at all.

Also, as you usually don't know before a "good" part of a recording has ended when it actually starts, you can basically only mark the ends of good parts using that key command.

Apart from that, you can only do comping on finished recordings (that includes cycle recordings created during recording, i.e. if you record in a cycle, you can already comp the completed cycles)

It would be great if you could do some preliminary comping on the red recording region already, which would result in the creation of a Take Folder even for just one Take which already contains that comp, but alas this is not possible in Logic (...yet? how about writing a request to Apple?)

Edited by polanoid
  • Like 1

@Atlas007 I can mark takes while I record so I get the highlighted in the comp while recording. But the moment the loop goes round for another take, any selections I made to a take goes away and gets reset. I want to do this to catch momentum in a session and also save time when I hear a take I think is magic and I know is good enough for the moment of the session, to maybe be worked on later.

@polanoid Thanks for the answer, Will try that. Yeah I guess I’ll do. I can about this that much that I really need this fixad. Do you have any idea where best to contact them about such a request?

Thanks

2 minutes ago, blizzu said:

any selections I made to a take goes away and gets reset

that’s not quite true, it’s only that the latest take is selectef instead of the comp. you can always switch back to that comp using the menu from the take folder header. of course you still cannot quick swipe comp the current („red“) recording region