Midi Mapping NI Maschine Mikro Touch Strip

Maschine Mikro has a "midi mode" where you can use the device like a generic control surface, without the Maschine plugin software loaded.  Switching between Plugin Mode and Midi Mode is good, because it can work as a Logic Control Surface or a Maschine controller (switching between the modes).  The NI Controller Editor software seems to work.  It looks like this...

966527554_AllPhotos-1of1.thumb.jpeg.68f63d5d920d754a0757e6b442833722.jpeg

I successfully assigned the pad notes to desirable notes, chromatically starting on C0 (across pages A, B, C, and D). I had no problem assigning the mute. solo and select buttons to Toggle Track mute, solo and record select.  Even got the 'Duplicate Button' to 'New Track with Duplicate Settings...'

For the jog wheel, there was an MCU 'wheel' assignment, which seems to work.  However, I'm trying to map the touch strip.  There are 4 buttons above the touch strip labelled 'Pitch', 'Mod', 'Perform' and 'Notes' that define the function of the touch strip.  

Most of the assignments are in a zone called 'Control Surface:Mackie Control'

1094061600_Library-1of2.thumb.jpeg.950a7e6381c46eb8ff75813a10667850.jpeg

But, some functions like the Jog Wheel are using an MCU standard button, which defaults to 'Transport / V-Pot Overlay' which I don't understand, but it works.

1704533091_Library-2of2.thumb.jpeg.b630c6829cd52d0a9bb82be0eb47aadd.jpeg

So, Any ideas on how to map an object that changes function based on another button?  That's beyond my experience.

Here's a bit more insight I found on the MCU parameters.  But it's a little unclear how to assign these values in the NI Controller Editor.  I'll keep reading.

I'm using Logic Pro X, so basically followed the instructions at https://www.native-instruments.com/...maschine-in-mackie-control-mode-with-logic-9/ to set it up (but use Maschine MK2 Virtual Input instead of MIDI input port 0).

Documentation for how to use the MCU with Logic at https://documentation.apple.com/en/...rfacessupport/index.html#chapter=3&section=16. It's pretty powerful once you get the hang of it.

My working MCU template for the Maschine MK2 also attached (should be renamed from .txt to .ncm2). Hope this saves someone else some time.

ID - MCU Button
0-7 Record 1-8
8-15 Solo 1-8
16-23 Mute 1-8
24-31 Select 1-8
32-39 V-Pot 1-8

40 Track
41 Send
42 Pan
43 Plug-In
44 EQ
45 Instrument
46 < Bank
47 Bank >
48 < Chn.
49 Chn. >
50 Flip
51 Global View

52 Name
53 SMPTE

54-61 F1-F8

62 MIDI Tracks
63 Inputs
64 Audio Tracks
65 Audio Instrument
66 Aux
67 Busses
68 Outputs
69 User

70 Shift
71 Option
72 Ctrl
73 Cmd/Alt

74 Read/Off
75 Write
76 Trim
77 Touch
78 Latch
79 Group
80 Save
81 Undo
82 Cancel
83 Enter

84 Marker
85 Nudge
86 Cycle
87 Drop
88 Replace
89 Click
90 Solo

91 Rewind
92 Fast Fwd.
93 Stop
94 Play
95 Record
96 Arrow Up
97 Arrow Down
98 Arrow Left
99 Arrow Right
100 Zoom
101 Scrub

102 User Switch A (Play/Stop in Logic)
103 User Switch B (Record Toggle in Logic)

I'm not sure what you are asking.

Remember, that if you are using an MCU device (or one that supports that config), it's sending MIDI messages from buttons to trigger specific things in Logic, that are part of how the whole MCU/control surface thing works.

If you are changing or remapping either MIDI messages some buttons send, or changing how the controller assignments respond to things, you're potentially breaking the MCU support.

Doesn't the touch strip just send regular CC or pitch bend data?

36 minutes ago, des99 said:

Doesn't the touch strip just send regular CC or pitch bend data?

No. It’s designed to send Pitch or Mod or Perf or Notes, depending on the selection button directly above it.  I have no problem having it send only pitch change.  The challenge is getting it to switch to the other functions like ‘Modulation’ when the above ‘Mod’ button is selected.  One touch strip designed to do multiple things.

40 minutes ago, des99 said:

you're potentially breaking the MCU support.

Correct. The MCU feature in the Mikro Controller Editor is limited to only 5 things - Play, Stop, Loop, Jog Wheel.  I want to use the other 32 buttons too, so I assign them a CC value and try the Logic ‘learn’ in the Controller Assignments.  That means the Mikro is sending a combination of MCU messages and regular CC values, but each button or control is assigned to send only one or the other.

50 minutes ago, Atlas007 said:

Wouldn’t that be the purpose of modes?

A-ha! That might be what I’m looking for….

’’You can define a group of controllers as a zone in Expert view and switch all controls in that zone to different parameters. Using a Mackie Control, for example, you can define the eight rotary encoders as a zone and switch them between pan, send level, and plug-in parameters”’’

So, if I’m understanding this correctly.  The touch strip control needs to be in its own mode (or maybe 4 modes) and the buttons above modify the parameters.  Hmmm….

2 minutes ago, Nunstummy said:

So, if I’m understanding this correctly.  The touch strip control needs to be in its own mode (or maybe 4 modes) and the buttons above modify the parameters.  Hmmm….

Be aware that I am not familiar with NI Maschine.

AFAIKUI, one has to designate a zone, create a mode, assign a controller as mode switcher and then assign the alternate function to a controller.

As @des99 hinted, be prepared in having to reinstall the Mikro assignments, as fiddling in the controller assignments could mess up what is already there…

23 minutes ago, Nunstummy said:

The touch strip control needs to be in its own mode (or maybe 4 modes) and the buttons above modify the parameters.

A zone is a set/area of controls on your controller. A mode is a set of assignments, in that zone, that will respond when that mode is active. So if you want a switch to toggle modes, you'd set that switch to be a mode switch (which switches the active mode in that zone), and then in each mode, set as assignment on the touch strip to do what you want. Then when you select one mode, the strip will do one thing, and when you select a different mode, that same control can do something different.

Zones and modes are fundamental to controller assignments and control surfaces, so I recommend get a good understanding on them - preferably in a new set of assignments where you can play to work out how to do what you need, rather than buried in the mass of default MCU assignments, which are quite complex (especially if you're not familiar with the MCU layout and how it works).

• Like 1