Good 22"-24" display monitor for scoring, notation

• Antaren changed the title to Good 22"-24" display monitor for scoring, notation
  • 2 weeks later...

@olavsu1, always remember that photographers usually require calibrated monitors, because they must be able to see in advance exactly how their work will appear "on screen" or "in print." 

Your Mac's built-in monitor is "calibrated," as are the digital monitors which you can buy from Apple. These monitors are much more expensive. But you simply might not need that for this purpose.  A very simple HDMI-cabled monitor with a USB or USB-C interface might work just as well, and cost very considerably less.  Buy the thing at Wal-Mart along with the adapter.

As the OP said:  "Buy it, try it.  If you don't like it, send it back and try again."

The very nicest thing about the Apple system, if you do need calibration, is that "Apple has already done the heavy lifting for you."  They even provide a number of "color profiles" for various professional applications.  Vastly nicer than trying to buy a who-knows-what from-where monitor and then "calibrate it," as in the past I have been forced to do!  You find Apple's products and pricing to be perfectly fair and highly preferable. (As usual.)

Edited by MikeRobinson

On 11/18/2022 at 9:58 PM, Antaren said:

I'm hoping the ASUS I ordered does the trick for me.  If not, I'll check these out.

I'm sure the ASUS will be fine. It's a good reputable brand and most monitors today are good quality. If for any reason you're not happy with your purchase and decide to send it back do let us know and we'll help you find another one. 

Note that when you first connect your monitor to your Mac you may find that the text is too large or too small, so don't hesitate to click the Apple menu > System Preferences, go in your Display preferences, set the Resolution to "Scaled" and try the different buttons below. Here the setting I ended up with on my monitor in order to get the same size as an iMac display:

Screen Shot 2022-12-03 at 1.40.31 PM.png

• Like 1

Thanks David.  I need to call Asus tomorrow, as I'm not getting the buttons on the monitor to work right...the ones that control brightness, contrast etc.  Should be an easy fix.

This is a larger monitor than the one I had. I have to get used to all the real estate.  The mixer window is showing up with a lot of grey on the top of the screen.  Is there a way to move the whole mixer so I have it centered more?  I'm attaching a screen shot.  I've only taken the shot of part of the mixer, so I could show how much blank grey there is.  On my old monitor, the mixer took up much more of the screen.  Thanks.

745811768_ScreenShot2022-12-04at9_45_21PM.png.153de8c77257832f1951c262c0fbc4fa.png

Edited by Antaren