Bus creating effect before any effects/plug-ins added

KeithJames
Go to solution Solved by Alan Shields,

This happens frequently and I wonder why:  I select a group of tracks, 2 or three or four or five, whatever; I add a new bus to them and I turn up the circular volume on the bus on the tracks.  I have not yet added any plug-ins to the bus, but yet just adding an empty bus to this selection of tracks causes them to play louder, noticably, as though I had already added some kind of effect.  Why does this happen.  It doesn't seem right to me that an empty bus path should effect a track.

• Solution

The path may be empty of effects but once you turn the send amount up you have created another parallel signal path. Both signals are then being summed at the output and therefor add to each other. If you are not ready to add FX to the aux yet it is probably best to leave the send level down until you are ready.

Alan 

Thanks.  I just noticed tonight that when I kept it turned down, then added the effects, then when turning the bus off and on I didn't feel bothered by the added path amplification.  Thanks.  I'll leave the path off until I've added the effects (and now know it is normal to hear the amplification from the added parallel path).

TBH I don't usually create sends until I am ready to use them.

If you've ever used an old hardware mixer the sends function the same way. In a HW mixer you can send a signal out to an outboard FX unit. Then the return signal from the FX unit can be fed back into you mixer through a return channel. The Aux channel is like the return channel (the bus is like the cable feeding the FX unit). Hopefully this will help you to visualise what's happening.

Alan.

Edited by Alan Shields
  • Like 1