Bounced Wav and mp3 files playing back at higher speed and with EXTREME distortion.

el-bo

Hi!

Wondering if anyone can help.

Been working on a project, and have started bouncing mixes to check on phone etc. and getting ready to finish the project. But I'm finding that some of the bounces have played back with ear-shattering levels of distortion and volume, and at a higher pitch/tempo. It seems to happen if i change anything in the mix, but if I close and reboot Logic it will give me a clean bounce of the same project. I only need to change the postion of one MIDI note for my next bounce to revert to this crazy behaviour.

Does anyone have a clue what I'm talking about?

Thanks

4 minutes ago, triplets said:

Is Normalize On in the bounce window? Is add audio tail enabled as well?

Hey man! Thanks for the prompt response. Been going crazy, trying to work it out. 

Here is a grab of my bounce window. The settings have been the same, each time I've tried, but sometimes it has worked and other times not. I did just manage another successful bounce, but I'm afraid if I go back to do any more edits the same cycle will repeat:

2096457238_Screenshot2022-11-24at21_27_11.png.7f30ad38a40b5b0ed9793830e08e6573.png

3 minutes ago, triplets said:

What about not including tempo information and turning normalize to Off?

What are your mp3 settings?

I suppose I could experiment with this. But if it were a settings issue, why do you think it might only be happening some of the time?

These are the mp3 settings:

235861856_Screenshot2022-11-24at21_38_54.png.dc6ed674f695e125de4b26370b956b3a.png

8 minutes ago, triplets said:

Software can be wonky sometimes with no explanation. Restarts can fix most of it, most of the time.

Try the mp3 also with Normalize Off, uncheck Tempo info and Filter below 10Hz.

Actually, restarting the project after each time it happened worked...right until the time it didn't 🙂

I've pretty much settled on the last bounce I just got. And my brain is still a bit fried from the sound-burst in headphones.

So, I'll leave it for tonight.

But some time tomorrow I'll try the mp3 recommendations, and see if anything obvious is triggering this behaviour. I know software can be wonky sometimes, but this happened consistently enough, even after restarts, to make me think there should be an identifiable root cause.

Thanks for your help. Will update when i have some more info 🙂

11 hours ago, el-bo said:

why do you think it might only be happening some of the time?

It really should never happen, I'm not sure what's going on here. 

12 hours ago, el-bo said:

some of the bounces have played back (...) at a higher pitch/tempo

That typically indicates sample rate mismatch. For now, and to eliminate variables, make sure you're bouncing at the same sample rate as your project sample rate (File > Project Settings > Audio), and if you're reimporting the file in Logic to play it back, then make sure you're playing back the bounced audio file in a Logic Project that has the same sample rate as well?

7 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

It really should never happen, I'm not sure what's going on here. 

That typically indicates sample rate mismatch. For now, and to eliminate variables, make sure you're bouncing at the same sample rate as your project sample rate (File > Project Settings > Audio), and if you're reimporting the file in Logic to play it back, then make sure you're playing back the bounced audio file in a Logic Project that has the same sample rate as well?

Thanks for the suggestion. 

Were this the case, why do you think it be happening intermittently, and without changing any settings?

In the end I had to submit the last successful bounce, and i have to dive straight into another project. Will be free from Monday, so I can see if I'm able to recreate the situation, in the hopes of getting an answer.

With the project I have to submit on Sunday, i will make sure there's no mis-match between project and bounce sample-rates...just in case. And I'll come back to report my findings at some point next week.

Thanks again...to both of you 🙂 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/25/2022 at 5:06 PM, olavsu1 said:

seems like a samplerate and bit depth issue.

do you know what files your player can play?

//I usually use 24bit and 44,1kHz samplerate

Thanks!

Will check it all out

----------------------

To evryone who has offered suggestions...

Oops! Got caught up with other stuff, and completely forgot to check all this out. Doh!!

Things should be back to normal next week, and I'll have some time to get to the bottom of the issues. So far, it hasn't recurred, which is nice.

Thanks again, for all your help.

Will update soon, f'sure.

Edited by el-bo