Help me refresh my memory!!

blinkofani
Go to solution Solved by polanoid,

Mmm, it’s been ages since I’ve used External MIDI tracks without using the External Inst plugin!! I’ve just « rearranged » my home studio to include all my old synths that were in closets and under the bed for so long and I’m monitoring them through a good old analog mixing desk that have a built-in 2X2 USB audio interface. So, everything « virtual » is coming through the USB return and all external synths have their own channel.

I’ve set up external MIDI tracks in my template but when I solo a VI or audio channel strip, it mutes all channel strips except the External MIDI strips. Soloing a MIDI strip will mute the other strips without problem. Just looked in the Project settings and Logic Prefs windows and can’t find anything related to that problem.

Has it always been like that in LPX or it’s a 10.7.5 bug? FWIW, I’ve always created templates with individual MIDI Instrument objects in the Environment rather than using the multi-timbral one that has 16 channels. Any help appreciated!! Thanks. 

• Solution

As External MIDI channel strip don't have a corresponding (mute-able) audio channel strip in the Mixer, Solo works different for them: Instead of soloing the track, the regions it contains are soloed. So, if you have any content on your software instrument tracks, you will see it actually gets muted when you solo an external MIDI track. So, not a bug, but expected behaviour.

Maybe you should switch to using the External Instrument plug-in for your external MIDI gear?

Edited by polanoid
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, polanoid said:

As External MIDI channel strip don't have a corresponding (mute-able) audio channel strip in the Mixer, Solo works different for them: Instead of soloing the track, the regions it contains are soloed. So, if you have any content on your software instrument tracks, you will see it actually gets muted when you solo an external MIDI track. So, not a bug, but expected behaviour.

Maybe you should switch to using the External Instrument plug-in for your external MIDI gear?

Thanks for the reply. I’d do that but I have way more synths than independent audio inputs on my interface. So, it always been like that since Logic integrated VIs? It kind of remind me of something now!! I kinda wished I could monitor them externally since they all have good FX processor, and those FXs are kind of a part of the synth’s signature sound. So, no real use of the Ext Inst plugins features/advantages. 

But thanks for the suggestion anyway!!