I really want to love Logic but...(Logic does not recognize a USB connected synth)

jhart

Every time I think I am going top get back into recording with Logic something simple always seems to get in the way. I have a CP73 and a Hydrasynth Explorer connected by usb. Logic will recognize the CP73 but not the Explorer. I tried reconnecting cables, power cycle, disconnecting CP73 but it will not recognize the usb connected synth. I have a back-up daw for times like this (Ableton) and it recognized both usb connected synths first time. I really want to love Logic but....

Any valid MIDI source will send MIDI to macOS and this makes it available in all MIDI apps - so Logic will "recognise" all valid active MIDI devices on your system.

What Logic actually *does* with that device and data depends largely on how you set it up, but if all the Hydra is doing is sending notes to Logic, Logic should be receiving them. Have you set anything specific up in Logic, like control surface handling or something?

Also, by "not recognising the Hydrasynth", what do you mean by this? Do you mean that, for instance, you can't see any incoming MIDI data when you play notes with the MIDI monitor visible in the custom transport? When you record, no notes get recorded? Or do you mean you play notes but a softsynth you're trying to play doesn't play?

The more specific you describe the problem you are experiencing, the easier it is to guide the troubleshooting to the right area... 👍

Edited by des99
  • Like 3

• David Nahmani changed the title to I really want to love Logic but...(Logic does not recognize a USB connected synth)
On 11/28/2022 at 7:58 AM, enossified said:

jhart,

When you say Ableton recognized both synths, this is on the same Mac where you are running Logic?

Are you using a passive USB hub in the path between the Explorer and the Mac?

Does the Explorer require MIDI drivers or is it class compliant?

Yes both synths are running on the same Mac and both go into passive usb hub. No drivers with Explorer, class compliant. 

9 hours ago, fisherking said:

what if you remove the hub, and plug the hydra directly into the mac? 

could be that the hub is the problem (and yes, i see that Live works with both).

which version logic, which mac? you could try (if it's an intel mac) resetting the SMC (power manager)...

I am using a MacBook Air M1, only 2 ports (not usb) so I need to use a usb hub. Using newest Logic 10.7.5 but the same problem before updating. Here are a few screenshots of the problem. Create midi track in Logic with no Explorer as Midi destination only CP73 is showing up. Then adding midi track in Ableton Explorer and CP73 are visible. 

track type.png

ableton midi track.png