Can a Smart Control control a Smart Control on a separate track?

JoshJ

I need a Smart Control on a Track Stack to control a plugin parameter on a Sub-Track Stack (Stack within a Stack). This isn't currently possible directly using Smart Control. Cant open 2 Smart Control window at once so wondering how I could do this if its even possible?

Alternatively, is it possible for a Smart Control on a Track Stack to control a plugin on an Aux nested within that Track Stack?

Edited by joshj

• JoshJ changed the title to Can a Smart Control control a Smart Control on a separate track?
11 hours ago, joshj said:

Alternatively, is it possible for a Smart Control on a Track Stack to control a plugin on an Aux nested within that Track Stack?

Yes.

The way I found to do it is by first instantiating an FX plugin (other than an EQ) on the master track (of that stack); then modify that Fx plugin Smart Controls (via the Smart Control inspector). You will be able to control the parameters of the various elements inside the stack (including Aux channel strip, providing that you have created a track from that Aux and inserted it in the stack), including the embedded stack's master track's elements.

To program and operate elements from within sub-tracks-stack, one has to map by selecting the parameter directly on the GUI of the target plugin, channelstrip, etc. since those aren't visible in the SC's inspector menus.

Edited by Atlas007
  • Like 1

On 11/29/2022 at 5:08 AM, Atlas007 said:

instantiating an FX plugin (other than an EQ) on the master track (of that stack); then modify that Fx plugin Smart Controls (via the Smart Control inspector)

But wouldn't this just allow me to Smart Control the plugin on the Master Track Stack itself? I want to control a plugin on the Sub-Track Stack..

I've attached a screenshot of what my mixer looks like what what I'm trying to do.

I want to have a Smart Control on my "DRUM" group track, control all the "Neutron 4" Saturation plugins across all the sub-tracks inside that group, including the "KICK" and "SNR" Sub-TrackStacks

I've tried mapping it and it doesn't seem to work. As I mentioned, I'd settle for using Aux's for grouping the Kicks and Snare (instead of Sub-TrackStacks), but cant seem to map that either. Am I missing something?

166866045_SmartControlonMasterTrackStacktocontrolPluginsonSub-TrackStacksandSub-Trackswithinthem.thumb.png.d73ff1343bf97aa14d2ea39479adb5f2.png

Edited by joshj

As mentioned previously, to SC Aux, one has to first create a track from that Aux. To SC from parent stack plugins (or Auxes)  found within embedded stack (IOW: stack within stack), one has to map the parameter directly via the target plugin’s GUI (graphic user interface).

Edited by Atlas007

4 hours ago, joshj said:

Yes but not sub-STACKS or Tracks within those Sub-stacks.

Wait, actually I just tried and it does work as expected here. I can map the Smart Control of the main track of a stack to the plug-ins of the main track of a stack that is inside that stack, or the plug-ins on the subtracks of a stack that is inside that stack. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

Wait, actually I just tried and it does work as expected here. I can map the Smart Control of the main track of a stack to the plug-ins of the main track of a stack that is inside that stack, or the plug-ins on the subtracks of a stack that is inside that stack. 

That's what I'm looking for but as you can see from the video it doesn't seems to be working on my end. Is there something you're doing differently to the process I'm using in the video?

Edited by joshj

3 minutes ago, joshj said:

That's what I'm looking for but as you can see from the video it doesn't seems to be working on my end. Is there something you're doing differently to the process I'm using in the video?

I'm using Logic plug-ins only. Can you make it work in a test project with Logic's factory plug-ins? That would help narrow down the issue. 

• Like 1

Nope, not working when I use Logic compressor instead of the Neutron Exciter.

Smart Controls still work when theyre on the Track Stack controlling plugins on Tracks directly within their Stack (single layer Stack)... so I know i'm doing it right. 

Is there any chance you can screen record your setup similar to the above vid so I can see if theres anything different about mine. I'm running 10.7.5 so cant be a version issue

Edited by joshj

10 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

what else you find out

Previously I was creating the Stack within a Stack only by right clicking on and going “Create Track Stack” so think it has something to do with this vs dragging one stack into another. Also maybe using the “Automatic” Smart Control face plate rather than selecting a custom one as was doing previously. 
Do you have any contacts on the Logic team for feeding back to? Or do you just submit via the site like normal? 

Think I figured it out. The channels which I wasn't able to map to were duplicated from another channel. So I setup Drum 1 with my plugins and Sends on it and then duplicated it multiple times and renamed them Drum 2, 3, etc.

I can paste across my plugin chain and Sends from another channel and the SC mapping work fine. But duplicating channels seems to be a no no. @David Nahmani are you able to replicate? (using 3rd party plugins on the duplicated channel)