I think I found an "Emagic" dongle (remember those?)

Antaren

I was clearing out some things and I think I found an Emagic Dongle for Notator (predecessor of Logic).  It looks like a thumb drive and says emagic on it.  If this is what I think it is, I can toss it.  I put it in a USB port, and there was nothing on the drive.  

Can someone verify what this is?  Thanks.

It sounds like it’s an XSkey, for Logic 5, which was the first version of Logic to use a USB key.

I still use mine To run Logic 7 for converting older projects, and running Sound Diver 3.

USB didn’t exist at the time of Notator.

Edited by des99

24 minutes ago, Alan Shields said:

Apple has a 'dongle', It's called a Mac.

I know this is somewhat in jest, but it always bugs me. Funny how no one says a PC is a dongle for running PC software, this is always directed to the Mac, as in "if you don't have a Mac, and if you want to run Mac software, you have to buy a computer to run it". Which is exactly the same as "if you don't have a PC, and if you want to run PC software, you have to buy a computer to run it".

A computer is not a dongle, it's a computer.

• Like 1

On 12/3/2022 at 7:20 PM, des99 said:

I know this is somewhat in jest, but it always bugs me. Funny how no one says a PC is a dongle for running PC software, this is always directed to the Mac, as in "if you don't have a Mac, and if you want to run Mac software, you have to buy a computer to run it". Which is exactly the same as "if you don't have a PC, and if you want to run PC software, you have to buy a computer to run it".

A computer is not a dongle, it's a computer.

For me this misses at least partly the point: To run ProTools or Cubase you don't have to buy a computer made by Avid or by Steinberg. To run Logic, Mainstage, Final Cut Pro and so on you have to buy a computer made by the same manufacturer that also provides the software. This isn't about Mac software; this is about Apple software. Consequently other Mac software (like the Mac variants of various cross platform applications) come with their own copy protection schemes - and often those are still dongles. But for Logic the computer hardware itself pretty much takes the function of a dongle.

Actually, I like the fact that Apple owns and controls the hardware that their software runs on.  It means that they control both sides of the equation.  Very briefly, Apple started to authorize "clone makers" but then they [wisely, IMHO ...] pulled back from that cliff-edge and fired the "Pepsi person."

One of the most annoying things about "PC" hardware, from the point of view of a software developer like myself, is that you never actually know what the hardware looks like.  You're trapped in "software driver hell," getting support calls which say that your product doesn't run correctly on this-or-that machine that you've never seen nor heard of.  Plenty of manufacturers cut corners everywhere they can.  Doesn't matter if the only thing you do all day is surf the web and write documents, but it matters a lot for "intense" applications like music, graphics, and video.

Apple generally puts high quality into their hardware and they charge accordingly.  The programmer always knows exactly what hardware environment to expect, and that it will be well-made.  Apple rarely sells "junk."  Your product will "just work."

Edited by MikeRobinson

4 minutes ago, MikeRobinson said:

Actually, I like the fact that Apple owns and controls the hardware that their software runs on.  Very briefly, Apple started to authorize "clone makers" but then they [wisely, IMHO ...] pulled back from the cliff-edge and fired the "Pepsi person."

The "Pepsi person" was fired in 1993; the clone program started in 1995 and was Spindler's doing.

While I have in general no problem with Apple hardware (the comparatively limited palette makes indeed a way more dependable platform than Windows) I'm fully convinced that Apple offers Logic (and other programs) mainly as a means to sell more hardware. That's also why Logic is quite cheap compared with similar programs: it is subsidized by the hardware sales.

• 1 month later...