Can Logic Pro "strum" midi notes like Studio One?

tomatohorse

Studio One has this great feature in the piano roll, where you can just hold a shortcut and drag any note in the chord, and it will create a "strum" where all the notes are offset from each other. The neat thing is that the amount of offset is up to you, based on how far you drag your mouse. This is such a useful feature!

Here's a video showing it in action: 

(He does it on the top and bottom notes, but you can also do it on any note in the middle and it'll make a V shaped strum pattern.)

Does Logic have an equivalent feature? The nearest thing I could find after searching around is the "Q flam" feature in the region inspector, but that applies the setting to everything in the entire region. Not really helpful in this case. 

• Like 1

Hi tomatohorse,

52 minutes ago, tomatohorse said:

Does Logic have an equivalent feature? The nearest thing I could find after searching around is the "Q flam" feature in the region inspector, but that applies the setting to everything in the entire region. Not really helpful in this case. 

Q-flam is indeed the equivalent to that feature, but as you found out it is a region parameter, so it will affect all notes in the region. You can always cut your region up as a workaround.

J.

Edited by Jordi Torres
emphasis
  • Like 1

Hmm.... that's a huge pain to cut up a midi region on what effectively becomes a per-chord basis (I almost never want my strums to be exactly the same, and sometimes want to throw in an inverted strum for variety, etc.). From a UX perspective, it just doesn't make much sense.

Maybe if enough of us request it as a feature request, they'll consider adding it. 🤷‍♂️