Help with vocal effects

Hi guys

My first post here 🙂

I have so many questions, but I’ll start with the most critical one. 

I recently started to use Logic Pro to record my voice over some backtracking. 

My problem is that my voice is very far away from the backtrack and it sounds kinda “metallic”. 

I bought the Altiverb 7 and I’m using the Sure SM 7 with Cloud Microphones Cloudlifter CL-1. Otherwise I use only stock plugins for EQ, compressor etc. 

I prefer to sing slower rock songs and my voice is quite bright and I can sing pretty high notes. 

Id like some tips and trick for how to add warmth and presence to my vocals. 

Thanks in advance 🙏

Miguel

Hi Miguel, and welcome to Logic Pro Help !

Your first step should be to get an acceptable "clean" vocal sound. Before trying to add any warmth to your sound, it should not sound far away or metallic. So first make sure that the mic is properly positioned, that you're not too far away from it, and that you don't have too many unwanted resonances in your room. 

If you're unsure, feel free to share a short sample recording so that we can hear it and determine if something's wrong or if you're good to go. 

Then gentle compression and EQ are the first step to clean up a vocal recording and make it consistent. Logic's own Compressor and Channel EQ are fine to get started. The compressor offers several analog models to choose from, and aside from the clean "Platinum" model, the others add some color to your sound, so experiment with them.

Logic's Vintage Tube EQ ("Silky" Output Model) is a great way to warm things up as well. 

Screen Shot 2022-12-02 at 11.15.45 AM.png

• Like 1