Can you recommend a good Drum Sample Library? Good open hats with Round Robin?

Hi guys and gals.  After going to Mac Mini M1, my BFD3 Drum Software is not working.  It was anyway high time for me to reassess my Drum Programming tools.  

I may go with Superior Drummer, but first I am going to see how far I can get by building my own kits with Drum Machine Designer.  

Can you recommend any good sample libraries or single kit packs?  Here's what I'm looking for:
I am especially interested in a realistic Hi Hat, so Round Robin is a must.  I use a lot of mid and open hi hat and this often gives away the fact that I'm using drum software.  Snare should also be round robin.  Musical style: varies, but mostly Rock from classic to metal.

Thanks in advance and greetings from Germany.

On 12/3/2022 at 11:24 AM, Burn Witch Burn said:

Hi guys and gals.  After going to Mac Mini M1, my BFD3 Drum Software is not working.  It was anyway high time for me to reassess my Drum Programming tools.  

I may go with Superior Drummer, but first I am going to see how far I can get by building my own kits with Drum Machine Designer.  

Can you recommend any good sample libraries or single kit packs?  Here's what I'm looking for:
I am especially interested in a realistic Hi Hat, so Round Robin is a must.  I use a lot of mid and open hi hat and this often gives away the fact that I'm using drum software.  Snare should also be round robin.  Musical style: varies, but mostly Rock from classic to metal.

Thanks in advance and greetings from Germany.

I researched a lot of drum libraries and tools over the past year. I also write metal and rock music so my needs are equal to yours.  Round Robin is a must!

And yes, Superior Drummer appears to have a lot of samples and pretty good functionality.  It also comes with a heavy price, like 3x higher than anything else I would recommend.

My preference with a library is the variety of snares and kicks. The kit that provides the most in my research is Steven Slate SSD5: 135 Snares, 112 Kicks, 58 Toms. In addition to 11 Hi-Hats, 14 Crashes, 6 Rides, 4 Splashes, 3 Chinas.  And SSD5 is just $100-120 depending if it is on sale.

I do not own SSD5, have friends that do, but I do own Steven Slate Trigger.  It does not come with cymbals.

I primarily use Shreddage ($100) which has a more limited set of instruments but is really good quality, including the cymbals. It only has one set of hats with like 3-4 different articulations. If I had to do it all over again, I would buy SSD5 in a heartbeat.

if you use Logic, it also has a huge percussion library that comes with it. I use Logic as a primary or augment to my projects.

Superior Drummer appears to have the most comprehensive HiHat library with 27 different articulations. The drum library itself has a lot more than Shreddage, but no app out there can compete with the volume of drums that come with SSD5.

There is a lot of mixing and sound design that come with Drum VST platforms. Each has their own take. I would encourage you to demo as many as you can tolerate before you make the final purchase. The learning curve is quite steep with each of them so it can be quite time consuming.

If you listen to some of the most popular or vocal engineers out there, Steven Slate gets a lot of props. That and he is really the godfather of Drum Samples and VSTs. That said, I am also very weary of the kind of marketing vendors use via YouTube. Lots of paid promotion that goes without notice. It’s easy to find advice from what may appear to be a trusted resource only to find the product is mediocre. And reading User Boards (thankfully not this one) on the Internet is just too mind-numbing for me. Lots of “keyboard experts” out there…

If I had to buy one today, and if I had the $ to drop on Superior Drummer, I would do it.  I don’t think you will regret it at all!  If you are a little more tight on budget or just cost/benefit conscious like me - I can afford any VST I want - you won’t regret SSD5 either.

Shreddage Drums uses Kontact Player which is free but also a pain to setup and manage.  Frankly I would steer clear of anything that does not run as a native plugin.

• Like 1

Hi Steve.  Thank you for that.  SD is a prime candidate for me if I buy a new app.  Yes, demos are the best way to test drive.  

I think BFD3 was around 300€ when I bought it so I'm a little wary of paying a premium for another app.  

Is there an existing app that offers Round Robin per articulation?  That would take the cake.
How about a sample library?   I have sampled some myself, but I'd be willing to pay for a library in a top notch studio + outboard gear.  

At the moment, I'm building Drum Machines in Logic per instrument.  To see if it improves or slows the workflow.  

So at the moment, I'm on the lookout for a library w multiple articulations (+ round robin versions of each of those hits).  ...mostly snare and hat.  I can live with less variations on Kicks, Toms, Crash, perc.

thanks again, Steve.