Controlling an audio track plugin with Modulator

ThenCameNow

I've set up a little Environment thingy to control the Tremolo symmetry on an audio track with the Modulator on an Instrument track.  See video.

It works great except only when it is the live track. When I click any other track, the instrument track with the modulator stops.

NB, when clicking on another track in the Environment it will continue to work, it only stops when clicking another track in Mixer or Main Window.

My only work around for the moment is to bounce an audio track of it in action.

Any other work arounds out there ?

I really want MIDI effects plugins on all tracks soon !

• Like 1

Nope. But I really don't understand why this would change anything ?

Whether the side chained compressor is on the instrument track with the modulator, the actual audio track with the Tremolo, or just another empty instrument track, as soon as I choose anything other than the instrument with the modulator as the live track, it stops.

2 hours ago, thencamenow said:

Also, just fyi, an External Instrument plugin must be on the instrument track with the Modulator and set to IAC Driver.

Sorry if I wasn't clear, I was in a hurry when I posted. The method I'm suggesting does not require an IAC bus and does not require a specific track to be selected. The compressor is basically a workaround to route an audio track's signal to the software instrument track. 

Let's say you have an audio track called Vocals and you want to use the Modulator to modulate a Tremolo for that Vocals track. 

1. Create a software instrument track. 
  2. Insert any instrument (really does not matter which instrument you choose). 
  3. In the Audio FX section, insert a Compressor. 
  4. In the Compressor plug-in window, set the side chain to the Vocals track and use the settings in the screenshot below.
  5. Insert the Tremolo in the Audio FX section of software instrument track. 
  6. Insert the Modulator in the MIDI FX section of the software instrument track. 

Basically the Compressor brings the audio signal on the software instrument track so that you can use MIDI FX to modulate the Audio FX plug-ins that process that signal. 

Screen Shot 2022-12-05 at 8.47.51 PM.png