Logic is Disabling Plugins and I Can't Re-enable Them.

Dannyboy

I really don't have too much going on in this project and I'm running an M1 so I don't understand why the plugins are being bypassed automatically. 

It started when the project did take longer than expected to load. I eventually got a little notice about Logic only loading plugins that are needed. 

It seems to be only the third party plugins that are disabled. 

One instrument strip has "Bypass all plugins" checked under settings. But that's not the case for other audio strips with plugins disabled.

How can I re-enable the plugins? 

Another note is that some of these plugins are new to me. But, I have had them running! 

Thanks for your help

152147567_ScreenShot2022-12-09at2_36_09PM.png.df5ac37e5fa2c69267d2687e6ceab722.png

Edited by Dannyboy
Didn't include screenshot

24 minutes ago, Dannyboy said:

It seems to be only the third party plugins that are disabled. 

It's a feature to speed up loading large projects/templates - only plugins actually *used* and needed for playback are loaded, the rest can be loaded on demand. Triplets has the project setting to change this behaviour above, if you want to go back to the old behaviour of always loading all plugins used in a project.

Edited by des99

It tells you exactly how in the dialog box screenshot you posted above. Select a track with disabled plugins or open a plugin, and those will be loaded.

You'll need to change the project settings, save the project, quit Logic, and reload the project to affect the change in loading behaviour.

Edited by des99

Ha yes I realize that. I did read that box. But the reason I'm posting is that it doesn't work. Nor does it seem to be the reason the plugins are disabled in the first place. That box only popped up like the 4th or 5th time I opened the project to resolve the issue. 

Double clicking on a disabled plugin does nothing, nor does selecting the track. Changing the project settings and saving, quitting and reopening Logic also does not resolve the issue. 

In fact, something odd seems to be happening with Logic in general. It's taking an absurd amount of time to open a project with one Midi piano track... I wonder if it's a bigger issue. 

Edited by Dannyboy

12 minutes ago, Dannyboy said:

Logic seemed to open as if I had just installed it.

That's what trashing the preferences does.

12 minutes ago, Dannyboy said:

Is there a good way to find out what plugin may be causing the problem?

Here's one way: Take out all the plugins out of the components folder in Library/Audio/Plugins/Components. Put them on the desktop.

Restart the project. There will be 3rd party plugins missing obviously. See if he project behaves correctly.

If it does, put half the plugins back in the Components folder. See how Logic behaves. Get the procedure?

You might have to restart the computer for the changes to take effect.

Edited by triplets

3 hours ago, triplets said:

If it does, put half the plugins back in the Components folder. See how Logic behaves. Get the procedure?

Thank you @triplets I started to do this and I'm beginning to think it's the Waves plugins, which are new to me, causing the trouble. I noticed they aren't actually in my component folder...They seem to run differently than the rest of my plugins which I install as components... it seems Waves has some parent "WaveShell" component that directs Logic to a Waves folder created in "Applications" which seems to hold all the plugins I just purchased.... 

This was bizarre. When I took the plugins out nothing would play back properly. Lots of noise and artifacts! In the end though, after taking the plugins out, putting them back in incrementally... everything started working again! Thanks again @triplets. I expected to find a problem with one of my plugins but so far things are working!

42 minutes ago, Dannyboy said:

it seems Waves has some parent "WaveShell" component that directs Logic to a Waves folder created in "Applications" which seems to hold all the plugins I just purchased.... 

Yes, Waves has just one component file.

14 minutes ago, Dannyboy said:

I expected to find a problem with one of my plugins but so far things are working!

Great! Maybe it was only a fluke. What I like to call Ghost in the Machine.

On 12/9/2022 at 10:30 PM, triplets said:

Great! Maybe it was only a fluke. What I like to call Ghost in the Machine.

Ha it certainly seems like it. Had it all working last night, the project overloaded a couple times but not a big deal. 

I shut my computer down completely and today we're back to where I started -- disabled third party plugins 😞