No sound when using ENGINE (Best Service) (Dark Era)

Hillbom
Go to solution Solved by Nestor Rivera,

Hello everyone!

I just downloaded "Dark Era" from Best service, together with their program ENGINE.
I've done everything i should do but i can't get it to sound inside of Logic. Not with Musical typing or a midi keyboard.
If i open only ENGINE, outside of logic, i can play with a midi keyboard and it also works fine within ableton.

Here is a video where i show the problem:

I'm on a Macbook Air M1 2020

Thanks in advance!! 
Starting go insane after two days of trying to fix this.
/Hillbom

Just now, Hillbom said:

But i can't record like that.

No I know, that's normal, this was only a test. 

So my best guess so far is that your issue is a MIDI Channel issue. You can try to click the little down arrow at the right in the LCD display in Logic's control bar to choose "Custom" which allows you to see the MIDI Channel your controller is sending the notes on. 

Screen Shot 2022-12-11 at 3.45.38 PM.png

For example my controller is sending on Channel 4: 

Screen Shot 2022-12-11 at 3.46.17 PM.png

Ideally you should have your controller send on MIDI Channel 1 as some instruments only respond to that. If that's not possible or practical for you to set that up on your MIDI controller then you can use a MIDI FX plug-in or a Transformer object in Logic's environment to change the MIDI Channel of incoming notes. 

If i record in Logic, the midi information is recorded but no sound during recording or playback.
But it works fine with all my other virtual instruments.

In Ableton i can record from ENGINE and it sounds both during recording and playback.
So in Ableton everything works as it should.

Edited by Hillbom

Tried loading another Engine instrument now and it is the same issue. 
Also tried with the mod wheel.

I would have questioned the files directory more if it didn't work in Ableton. 
Now it just seems that something in logic is not working.
Should i check something in the midi environment?

25 minutes ago, Hillbom said:

Should i check something in the midi environment?

I assumed you tried this from a new empty project in which case you should have the default environment, but if that's not the case then you should try a new empty project, or check the cabling in the environment, yes. The Click & Ports layer should look like this: 

Screen Shot 2022-12-11 at 5.20.35 PM.png

2 hours ago, Hillbom said:

This is the most mysterious problem i've had with logic so far...

Indeed, hard to tell what's going on! 🤔

Have you reached out to best service's tech support? I suppose that would be my next step. If you do and find out what's going on, please let us know, I'd love to hear it. 

PS: I've reached out to them also regarding this issue and pointed them to this thread. Hopefully they can chime in or let me know what they believe might be going on in this case. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/11/2022 at 10:59 PM, Hillbom said:

Everything looks good in the midi environment.
This is the most mysterious problem i've had with logic so far...

Hi Hillbom,

Weirdly enough, I am facing the same issue since yesterday.

I don't know if you have tried drawing the MIDI notes, and playing the sounds? It will very likely work, I am thinking, because that's what is happening with my project. It's just the MIDI input the tracks aren't detecting. 

I don't think it is an issue with your VST. It's likely a Logic problem. I am having this issue with every new software instrument track I am creating in this particular project now, and it started all of a sudden with the Omnisphere and Trillian tracks, which were working just fine earlier.

Just for your information, I also created a new project file, and there the software instruments are playing the sounds from the MIDI input directly. May be you can also trying doing that, seeing that you're just starting your project?

Another thing you could probably do is, you can try opening your VST on the standalone Kontakt app, and you will very likely be able to play the sounds through your MIDI. That's what is happening on my Omnisphere and Trillian standalone apps.

Now, I have tried to set the MIDI input channels from 'All' to all the other options, but neither the software track meter is detecting any input nor there is any sound (On the Control Bar & Display, though, it does show which key I am playing).

I will keep you informed if I find any solution.

Best,

MynkK

• 3 weeks later...

ive got the exact same problem. Hope to hear your solution soon.

Engine works in Standalone, which means the plugin can detect the midi data im playing on my keyboard. 

It didnt work before as I did not setup the midi preference within the Engine plugin. I did that in standalone and it started to work.

However, in logic, there's not a setting like that. and the midi preference is not brought to logic. 

Sorry, i dont understand your question. The problem im having is Engine not detecting midi data from logic. 

A work around i just discovered is, I'm now using another instrument as a host and have Engine opened inside that instrument. (the instrument is called Lie from expressive e). 

1 hour ago, rAC said:

Which one of the two in this thread?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Nestor Rivera said:

Hello everyone! If anyone is still experiencing that annoying issue with Bestservice Engine not responding to midi in Logic Pro X, go to Logic Settings then midi and uncheck Midi 2.0. Hopefully that will solve this problem for you. 

Yup, this worked for me!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 3/28/2023 at 3:07 AM, Nestor Rivera said:

Hello everyone! If anyone is still experiencing that annoying issue with Bestservice Engine not responding to midi in Logic Pro X, go to Logic Settings then midi and uncheck Midi 2.0. Hopefully that will solve this problem for you. 

This works!
Thanks a lot for discovering this Nestor!!

So the problem is that Engine does not support MIDI 2.0?
If that's the case then that seems very strange.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you so much 

Independence plugin from Magix would not  play midi - when every other plugin worked fine

Must not be compatible with midi 2.0 as soon as I turned this off - worked fine !!

No idea how long I struggled with this 

Most grateful for this forum

Mike 

• Like 4