Outboard Effects and Processors, Logic 5.5.0

morninmaam

I had a bit of a cool idea the other day, but I'm not sure how to actually do this.

From what I can work out, it should be possible to use an outboard processor (hardware, not software) in Logic (version 5.5.0 I'm using for PC).

I'm working on the theory here that if your not actually recoring anything, and your lucky enough to have a multi input/output soundcard, you should be able to turn these input/output into physical send/returns to use with your outboard gear.

For example, whenever you normally send for an effect in Logic, you use a Bus channel that contains a software effect. Rather than having a software effect on the Bus, change the channel settings to send/return to a physcial output.

I'm also thinking that maybe this should be done on the Aux Channel?

This would be great if this can be done, as automating tracks to a real effect would sound great!

My setup is Logic 5.5.0, running on Windows XP, AMD Athlon +2400. 1.5 Gig Ram, 120MB and 40MB hard disk.

My sound card is an Emu 0404. This is a 4 in, 4 out card. 2 analogue, 2 digital.

For my digital channels, I am using an ART DI/O, 2 channel, 24 Bit 96Khz Analogue to Digital converter, enabling me to record 4 channels at the same time.

My outboard effect that I wish to use is a Behringer V-verb Pro REV2496.

Any help would be great!

Mornin, maam!

If you were in Logic Pro 7 on OS X, you could simply use the "i/o" plug-in to seemlessly integrate any outboard hardware processor as if it were a mere plug-in!!

But still, this is easily done in 5.5. Like you're saying, you need to route the audio to be effected to an output, plug that into your processor, plug the processor's outs back into the inputs of your soundcard and record them.

Easy as Sunday morning.

Let us know how that works for you?

• 3 weeks later...

Forgot to reply to this, thought I'd better though, for the curious like myself..

Yes, I can get that method to work. I use the same method sometimes when I want to do a bit of Analogue EQing at my desk, or when I want to add some tube warmth to a track.

Thruthfully though, I just like the idea of using an effects Bus instead. That way I could automate it.

Sure it would work, if I could find a way to make the Bus look an an external channel instead of an insert point.

Sigh.........

Thruthfully though, I just like the idea of using an effects Bus instead. That way I could automate it.

Sure it would work, if I could find a way to make the Bus look an an external channel instead of an insert point.

Not sure what you mean? You can use the i/o plug-in on a Bus if you want. Either way you can automate it, although it's limited to send and return levels automation. Not very exciting, but you won't get anymore than that with an outboard unit unless it comes with its own editing software.