Help with guitar pedal going into Logic???

Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

I just got an Eventide Micropitch pedal. If the pedal is going into my amp's effects loop and then my amp is going into Logic via my audio interface, I would have to use two inputs on my audio interface for the output to be stereo in Logic? Just wondering if it's possible the pedal could send a stereo signal into Logic using just one cable coming from the amp? 

Thanks. 

https://www.eventideaudio.com/pedals/micropitch/

1526737533_ScreenShot2023-01-08at4_00_18AM.png.ff8ea1c3843a2e27e4cc6c20da707401.png

129932152_ScreenShot2023-01-08at4_00_32AM.png.c546b7fc630c9ff5cd4ea328253512eb.png

Yes, stereo is two channels of audio, and therefore requires two inputs on your audio interface.

I assume your amp is stereo, rather than a regular mono guitar amp, as otherwise, you'd be in mono anyway, and could just stick to mono recording.

Edited by des99
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, deckard1 said:

Not possible to have two channels of audio using one input? 

One input is a single, mono channel. Stereo requires two channels, by definition.

I don't know what audio interface you have, or what inputs it has (for example, an SP/DIF input carries two channels, on one cable), but check your manual for it to see what inputs it has. It's unlikely your audio interface has a single cable stereo input, unless it's on a little minijack (like an iPod headphones jack).

9 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

What amp is it, and how is it connected to your audio interface? 

Amp is a Victory V4 Sheriff hybrid amp and my audio interface is a first generation Apogee Jam. The Jam just has one Hi-Z input. 

https://www.victoryamps.com/product/v4-the-sheriff-guitar-amp/

https://apogeedigital.com/products/jam

Thanks. 

• Like 1

Just now, David Nahmani said:

Ok so a single input means you're doing a mono recording, but as long as you are recording on a track that has a mono input (for example Input 1) in Logic, and is routed to the Stereo Out, then you should hear the recording in both speakers. 

Thanks! Will the detune effect from the Eventide Micropitch pedal I am using in the effects loop of the amp be in mono or stereo? 

It will be in mono because you're recording a mono signal into Logic Pro (only one channel). 

Thanks. What's confusing me though is the mono/stereo switch on the back of the pedal. For example, what if I set the switch on the back of the pedal to stereo and then just have one cable coming out of the pedal...not two? Still mono? 

2107656996_ScreenShot2023-01-08at11_38_41AM.png.11913245c57d1af40b9f8d0267d7ac92.png

It would still work, but in mono. The effect can actually be either mono or stereo, depending on the number of outputs you use. 

But the detune effect is split I thought. Needs stereo, in other words?  For example, 9 cents to the left and 9 cents to the right. 

1 minute ago, des99 said:

There is a plugin version of this, BTW, which can be had in sales quite inexpensively. (I got mine for about $15). In stereo. 🙂

https://www.eventideaudio.com/plug-ins/micropitch/

I was thinking of the plug-in too but didn't mention it because I thought that maybe @deckard1 preferred the sound of the detuned clean guitar going into the amp.

If you're going to use a plug-in for this, you could also use Logic's Pitch Shifter in dual mono mode. 

• Like 1

Thanks! I actually have the Eventide Micropitch plugin. Thought the pedal would sound better than the plugin for some reason. I was going to A/B Eventide's Micropitch plugin with Logic's Pitch Shifter plugin and see if one is better than the other. Just curious as I've never used Logic's Pitch Shifter plugin before. 

Edited by deckard1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, deckard1 said:

I was going to A/B Eventide's Micropitch plugin with Logic's Pitch Shifter plugin and see if one is better than the other. Just curious as I've never used Logic's Pitch Shifter plugin before. 

Great idea to A/B them if you own both. If you can please let us know what you find out, I'd be curious to hear your thoughts. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

Great idea to A/B them if you own both. If you can please let us know what you find out, I'd be curious to hear your thoughts. 

Sounds good. Will definitely report back after I A/B them.

Thanks also for the suggestion of using dual mono. Very cool feature in Logic. I've always just used stereo. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

You're welcome. You'll have to use a bit of trickery in order to insert the dual mono plug-in on a mono track though: first Command-click an Audio FX insert and insert Utility > Gain > Mono → Stereo, then you can insert a dual mono plug-in. 

Same thing, or result, as sending to a stereo aux channel and choosing dual mono for the chosen effect? 

Edited by deckard1

On 1/10/2023 at 1:52 AM, David Nahmani said:

You're welcome. You'll have to use a bit of trickery in order to insert the dual mono plug-in on a mono track though: first Command-click an Audio FX insert and insert Utility > Gain > Mono → Stereo, then you can insert a dual mono plug-in. 

Thanks, David. How is 'Command-click' different than just 'click' for an Audio FX-insert? 

21 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

Actually scratch that, there's no need to Command-click, you can just click to access the Mono → Stereo version of the Gain plug-in! Just click works. 

And what des99 describes is Option-clicking. 

I guess I must have crossed my Command-Option-Control-Shift wires when I wrote that. 

Yes, I was getting the same result Command clicking versus just clicking. Hence the minor confusion on my end. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

And what des99 describes is Option-clicking. 

I guess I must have crossed my Command-Option-Control-Shift wires when I wrote that.

Yep, I wasn't at my computer but I was sort of thinking "hmm, is that *command* to force-insert, seems to not feel right", but hey, we got there in the end... 🙂

• Like 2