Which MacBook to buy?

Hey! My old MacBook just died, and now I’m looking to buy a new (used) MacBook. But I’m wondering what to buy. It’s primary use is gonna be producing in logic (preferably 11), but I’m not sure if I should go for something from 2015 where parts can be changed, or if I should buy one from 2018-2019? 
Can anyone tell me what MacBook is ideal? How old is okay to use? Is it worth to buy a newer model? 

1 hour ago, Namnamtis123 said:

(preferably 11)

Logic 10 is the current version. 

1 hour ago, Namnamtis123 said:

Is a MacBook Pro from 2015 any good? (I hear you can change parts on this) or should I buy something from 2018-2019? What specs are a must, and what model should I go for? 

All those are good, and there are no specs that are a must per se, at least not in that range of machines you're considering. It depends on your budget and how you're going to operate the machine. Are you going to do film scores with large sample libraries, or dance music with demanding synths, or are you going to record your vocals and guitar and use a software drum track? These different workflows require different specs. 

So:

1. What's your budget range?
  2. What is your workflow?

2 hours ago, Namnamtis123 said:

Hey there! My old MacBook from 2011 just died, and I’m looking to buy a newer (used) MacBook. It’s primary use is going to be producing in logic (preferably 11) and doing some paperwork. I am unsure what model to buy though? Is a MacBook Pro from 2015 any good? (I hear you can change parts on this) or should I buy something from 2018-2019? What specs are a must, and what model should I go for? 

I would not recommend buying an 8 year old computer no matter how inexpensive it may be. Consider if you really *need* it to be a laptop. If not then consider the Mac mini, tons of power, not expensive and external displays are cheap, you might even find companies giving them away. I also would avoid 2018-19 MacBook pros given the myriad keyboard issues those have and as someone who has handled a LOT of them in my jobs the batteries are starting to fail on that generation of Mac. A newer MacBook Air or Mini is the best less expensive option. 

Where are you located?

For what it may be worth, I have bought all of my (recent) Macintoshes from Apple's refurbished and clearance section.  Here is where you can find the hardware that was used in Apple retail stores and schools "last year."  It has been restored to as-new condition – "all bubble-gum removed" – and is backed by the same bumper-to-bumper AppleCare® warranty that Apple extends to brand-new equipment.  But, since in the eyes of the law it is not "brand new" anymore, it is sold at a sometimes-significant discount.

Quite frankly, in these days and times there's really not that much difference between "this year's gear" and "last year's." (Sorry, salesmen ...)  So, I feel the same way about buying computers as I feel about buying cars.  "Used" is just fine, especially when it really hasn't(!) been "used."

Edited by MikeRobinson
  • Like 4

17 hours ago, MikeRobinson said:

Quite frankly, in these days and times there's really not that much difference between "this year's gear" and "last year's." (Sorry, salesmen ...)  So, I feel the same way about buying computers as I feel about buying cars.  "Used" is just fine, especially when it really hasn't(!) been "used."

I agree, but there is a major line at the switch from Intel to Apple Silicon. 

At this point, I'd opt for an Apple Silicon machine if at all possible. 

• Like 4

My next machine is most likely to follow that course.  Yet this is certainly not the first time when Apple boldly crossed "a major hardware line."  After all, I've been with "Macintoshes" since the 68000. (Yeah, the little gray things with a monochrome display that said "hello" to a disbelieving world in cursive script. I've still got one.)  I saw the "PowerPC" come and go.  Hardware marches on.  But Apple also has very good cross-processor compiler technology which product developers can use, so there will be time to adjust.

Nevertheless – I have been very satisfied with my "refurbished" strategy and with every computer I have bought over the years through that channel – which is "almost all of them."  "Yes, I pay sales tax."  But the machines are every bit as good as they ever were – only, sometimes substantially less expensive.  The fact that Apple does not compromise on AppleCare® coverage is the key that makes it all work. (AppleCare has saved my "*" many times.) They promise that they'll be "as good as new," and by gawd, they are. And, should they not be, they fix it anywhere in the world. They don't care how I bought it.

Edited by MikeRobinson
  • Like 1
  • Love 1