The Rhodes MK8 Competition

Walnut

I mostly enjoy the beat and rhodes. I feel like a little work is needed to improve the mix. Maybe the drums could be a little bit more upfront (nice lo-fi effect on the drums @1:00). But the vibe is laid back and real cool. 

The vocals need some work. At some points they're drowned under the mix and you can barely hear them. They should always be on top so that one doesn't have to strain to decipher the lyrics and can hear them comfortably. They could be given a little bit more character maybe with some compression, EQ and perhaps even a bit of distortion (something to experiment with). But they should be up front and center. Here's one thing you can try: dial in the vocals first, create an interesting sound for them (like I said using a few effects) and then, only then, once you're happy, slowly raise the drums to taste so that they create the necessary beat without overpowering the vocals. Then dial in the rhodes, which are just giving some texture, some harmony to the song, but again without overpowering the vocals. 

I liked the pun in the lyrics. Fun. 🙂 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/22/2023 at 10:29 PM, Walnut said:

Yeah I agree with everything you said.  But it's too late😐. I've already submitted the music as is!  Ahh well.  Let's see if I win anything 🤞

Sometimes the imperfections are what make it great!  Great song!

What virtual instrument did you use for the Rhodes?

I sent my composition to Rhodes this week end.

I haven't put in on YT yet as I don't know if it's allowed by the competion rules, if you can publicise it before the results.

Was kinda hard for me as I'm not at all in the "rap" thing and the recto tono, the speaking guy was annoying... 😁

Edited by FLH3

On 1/22/2023 at 8:47 PM, David Nahmani said:

They could be given a little bit more character maybe with some compression, EQ and perhaps even a bit of distortion (something to experiment with).

Actualy I did that myself on this vocal track. According to the rules you can't chop it, for sync reasons, but nothing is said about effecting it, so I did (amp sim, eq, compression, deesser, some doubling at certain times, etc... The usual business).

Actualy maybe I did that because I didn't like it🙂

Edited by FLH3

4 hours ago, FLH3 said:

Was kinda hard for me as I'm not at all in the "rap" thing and the recto tono, the speaking guy was annoying... 

That’s what exactly why I decided to do this.  It’s not my style so it’s a personal challenge to stretch myself.  I found the timing of the vocals to be annoying.  He doesn’t quite like up well musically.  Also the lack of dramatic pause doesn’t give space for the music to do something interesting under him. 

46 minutes ago, ManFromNapa said:

That’s what exactly why I decided to do this.  

Well, I'm hesitating between telling "it's the same for me, I like challenges and being outside of my comfort zone" or the truth which, sadly, is "I would love to win a super cool Rhodes EP!"

😁

19 minutes ago, FLH3 said:

Well, I'm hesitating between telling "it's the same for me, I like challenges and being outside of my comfort zone" or the truth which, sadly, is "I would love to win a super cool Rhodes EP!"

😁

When I told my girlfriend about it she laughed and said “the last thing we need is an electric piano”!  🤣

I’d love to win it, but would be happier with the virtual instrument.  It takes up less space.  Lol

• Like 1

This is not to brag, but if I pull elsewhere, in the garden, some useless furnitures in my home, like the couch, the coffe table and the wardrobe, especialy the wardrobe, I'm sure this rhodes-I-shall-certainly-win-with-my-masterpiece will fit.

If I push hard enough.

😄

Edited by FLH3
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, FLH3 said:

As we say for giving good luck in my country, merde!

Yes, I know, saying a realy bad word (faeces) to somebody for wishing him-her luck is not logical, but in a scientific point of view the "good luck concept" is not logical either...

An old saying for good luck here is "break a leg".  Not very logical.

• Like 1

The 2 things are quite identical, actualy, it's the principle to invoke the bad, some excrements or a light bony accident,  to give the good.

But anyway, I'm competing too and my ab-so-lute masterwork, with a voice I don't like, will win! I trust in the judges.  🥸

Edited by FLH3
  • Haha 1

On this point I've maybe an advantage on you. I can read and write English, with an average level, but when I hear it it needs to be quite "standard". If it's too quick or with an accent which is not from the BBC or CNN my internal-understanding-gauge tends to drop.

Like an Englishman on holidays in Béarn....

Consequently the voice becomes a kind of sonic soup with some understandable words but not a lot of true meaning, for me. All puns and figures of speech are lost in my little brain.

Edited by FLH3

Break a leg comes from old theater days in England.  People used to stomp their feet If they liked the performance.  So it comes from that.  It makes perfect sense.  Here in Spain we say mucha mierda.  

There are two versions that try to unravel the origin of that term . One places its birth in the 16th and 17th centuries , when people from high society went to the theater in their carriage.

As it is well known that horses are not very careful when it comes to relieving themselves, the busiest theaters accumulated considerable quantities of dung before their doors . And since the show's take depended on the money that viewers wanted to throw at the actors after the show, a good amount of horse dung guaranteed a generous income.

The other version starts in the Middle Ages. The actors were nomadic workers who carried their show from town to town. And if they discovered large amounts of manure on the outskirts of a town, they could find out if a fair or crowd of people was being held there for whatever reason, which always increased the chances of having more public -and therefore more collection- for his work.

For this reason, wishing "a lot of s#!+" to your colleagues means trusting in the success of your work and the consequent financial benefits.

• Like 2