Score editor multiple tuplet issue

PFBungie
Go to solution Solved by volovicg,

I am trying to display both quarter note and eighth note triplets in four four time in the one phrase. The first two notes are quarter note triplets, the third note is the first of a pair of eighth note triplets. All of this fits into the space of two beats. (Hopefully the screen shot below is big enough to display the intent). Thanks in advance.

Screen Shot 2023-01-23 at 6.46.00 pm.png

What an introduction.... Thanks David!

Is this what you describe ?  I also have attached a logic project for you to see the settings used with the n tuplet tool 

Brought in a quarter note. add n tuplet with parameters in file, copied quarter note to second beat, shortened its duration, copied final beat by bringing in 1/8 note and adjusted size as  needed. 

image.thumb.png.30e80bfdc7904a956f8f60098231d7bb.png

Trip-o-lalet.logicx.logicx.zip

• Like 1

Well, I'm overwhelmed by the response from two superstars here - so thanks to both of you. Yes - you understand what I'm after here. I'm having trouble replicating this from the file and the instructions, however.

Preliminary question: how do I view the n-tuplet parameters in the file? I assume I grab the n-tuplet from the Part Box and whatever setting that's there is the last one used. In this case it was 3 over 2 eighths. 

I created a new region, dragged in a quarter note, applied the n-tuplet with the above setting. It converted it to 3 eighth notes (not looking good). Nevertheless I moved the play head (or do we call it the song position line? Can't remember) to beat two and pasted that in. So now I've got two groups of eighth note triplets on beats one and two - at this point I'm confounded.

I also tried an n-tuplet parameter of 3 over 2 quarter notes, then copyied the first quarter note to beat 2 of the bar (I think this is actually what you meant) so that I had (as triplets) a quarter note, a rest and a quarter note (in the space of two beats) but I can't 'shorten its duration.' I don't know what you mean by that. I tried tried dropping an eighth note on it but no go. Of course nothing I do in the Piano Roll is necessarily reflected in the score editor in this instance.

Despite my seeming ineptness I've been a Logic user for nearly 25 years and I was a certified trainer for a short while. And I'm a pro and this project is a commissioned music theatre work. Feeling like a klutz but really appreciating the fact that you guys actually respond. Cheers.

To view the parameters double click on the triplet number in the score itself.   See below.

Tuplet number of notes in the upper row left should be 3

Tuplet time value in the upper right value to the right should be 2 

ie. 3 beats in the space of of 2

Allow half value should be checked: this allows note values that are half the length of the regular tuplet value.  In this case the regular tuplet value is a quarter note and by checking this box it allow for the inclusion of of eighth notes in the tuplet as well. 

trips.gif

Edited by volovicg
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

• Solution

You have to shorten notes as I indicated in the early thread. either use duration bars or I use key commands -  Nudge (option+shift  then left or right arrow).    Option + left or right arrow moves the starting position of the note, Option + shift + ( Left or right arrow) changes the length of the note. The incremental change for for each press is whatever you have the nudge value set to.  In this example the nudge value is set to 1/6.

I am also display key commands - so you can see what I am pressing. 

1050484382_TripletDetails.thumb.gif.5df9241da01a96c5eebddd7c174ad641.gif

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Thanks so much! (and don't throw exclamation marks around that much). Yes, I understood the part about duration and usually adjust in the piano roll. I think I was instinctively not opening the piano roll 'cause I've had tied note lengths occasionally not represented in the score editor in the past (I'm sure that, too, would've been 'operator error.' Thanks to both of you for being onto me and sticking with it.

• Like 1