I can't see some automation showing in the background

ADLondon

Hi,

I am working on a project with a LOT of automation info throughout on several tracks. However, I am seeing some automation 'in the background' on several of the tracks, but can't seem to find what it is. I have opened the viewer (arrow, bottom left of track name) and seen all that appears to be in bold in the list, but it is not showing what this background thing is.

In case it's relevant, I am doing a LOT of global editing, cuts which move all automation, so I have a lot of edit nodule points throughout (as it adds them even if just on a level line) and I THINK these background automation 'spikes' may be where there have been edits, but why can't I see what they are for?

I've attached a screenshot of the track (zoomed in a bit) showing just VOLUME with all other automation lines in the background, and another with the automation arrow expanded to supposedly see it all - but these 'spikes' aren't here! 

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Cheers.

Screenshot 2023-01-23 at 12.32.33pm.png

Screenshot 2023-01-23 at 12.33.11pm.png

Sorry - hadn't updated signature... I'm now on

Mac mini (2018) 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
Monterey 12.6.2
Logic Pro 10.7.6

Edited by ADLondon

Just now, David Nahmani said:

No upload it to a reply to this topic here. The link was just to give you the instructions on how to save and upload your project. 

Ah ok. Though it a bit odd. Ok.

Bear in mind, this isn't just on this one track - I noticed it on several! But for the purpose of you seeing it, I've just left the one (with all other tracks and all other audio deleted).

HOWEVER, I've saved it - in a totally different place - and with AUDIO ticked to save but it isn't saving the audio with the project for some reason

It's actually doing something else quite weird.... In the arrangement I saved with just the one track, the audio for that track IS playing, and plays when I click/hold the mouse on the audio in the file browser, but when I right click to show where the file is in the finder, it says: 'Audio File not found' (see screenshot)

Screenshot 2023-01-23 at 2.11.16pm.png

11 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

I don't need the audio, just the Logic project file should be enough.

OK here that is

Woodstock Dale Automation Test.zip

13 minutes ago, ADLondon said:

It's all over it, but go to 2113 as an example... there's no audio at that point, but you should see the spikes in the background

Ok I see it you're right and I can't figure out what it is either. 😳 Well hopefully someone else will chime in and be able to tell what it is?

It's probably just some ghost leftover display from automation you had previously but that was removed since? That's my best guess so far. 

• Like 1

Mad. I have to admit, I seem to have lots of 'ghosts in this machine'. Plugins being automation-bypassed but not, then not being able to add a bypass edit without doing so in a Touch or similar real-time pass...And so much more. Seriously - lots of things... I go mad with it all - then just find workarounds because life's too short!

1 minute ago, fisherking said:

what david says above makes sense; some automation written for something no longer in the project...

Then why is it showing if it's been deleted or whatever?

As I said, I THINK it may have something to do with my global edits... Because every time I do a global edit, such as a 'cut section between locators' (with 'move automation on of course, or else all following would be out) it adds an automation point..

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ADLondon said:

lots of things... I go mad with it all - then just find workarounds because life's too short!

Yes sometimes you need to troubleshoot to figure something out, but sometimes, at some point, you have to accept that some things that are occurring are beyond your control, and get on with your work. 

• Like 3

I can't help but be frustrated though. 'Back in the day' (haha) when Logic was less complicated, I used to work straight through effortlessly. It was a pleasure. These days, every day is frustrating. Not so much fun.

• Sad 1

not sure where the issues are coming from. i've used logic since around 2009, and i find it still familiar... just with more options, tools... not more complicated.

do you work from a custom template? might be worth looking at that (if). i had an issue a few years ago with a logic update and rebuilding my template (from scratch! 😳) saved me. some work, but worth it.

1 hour ago, fisherking said:

not sure where the issues are coming from. i've used logic since around 2009, and i find it still familiar... just with more options, tools... not more complicated.

do you work from a custom template? might be worth looking at that (if). i had an issue a few years ago with a logic update and rebuilding my template (from scratch! 😳) saved me. some work, but worth it.

I've worked with Logic since the 90s! LOL. My first Mac was a G3, and the last was a Mac Pro (2007), which I think got as far as going up to about V10.3 or 4 or something.... but this way of working was seamless. I only upgraded machines because it got impossible to update or buy new plugins and do ANYTHING else with it. But I often want to go back to it for the bulk of the work I do and just use the shiny Mac mini and latest Logic for mixing with additional plugins, just to have an easier life!

When I say 'complicated', I don't mean it got more complicated for ME, I mean I guess Logic now tries to do so much but actually, to the detriment of its professional working environment. FINE in basic use... but not when you get a bit more demanding of it.

Either that or I was sold a dud! (But it's from a very reputable, independent company that came highly recommended, and I find that option hard to believe.)

As for your question, yes, I have been working with a custom template - on ONE project, but not on the other. One is for an album that uses a lot of the same instruments in the tracks, so I open a custom one with the tracks ready, but the other one is a long term audio (not music) audio play project, with spoken word, Foley and music mixed in... The audio play is feature length (so about 90 mins) and has a lot of tracks. The album has a lot of tracks too, but not as many as the play, and is 3-5 mins long per track.

You would not believe just how many issues I have had since having this wonderful, updated new set up. My dream world would be to just sit with some tech guru by my side as I work and just point out each (sometimes intermittent) annoying thing as it occurs and see i they can solve what it might be!

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, ADLondon said:

You would not believe just how many issues I have had since having this wonderful, updated new set up. My dream world would be to just sit with some tech guru by my side as I work and just point out each (sometimes intermittent) annoying thing as it occurs and see i they can solve what it might be!

there must be a reason for all of the issues you're having, and perhaps worth having someone take a look (or calling apple, who can screenshare with you, for example).

i appreciate all the options current logic pro has (but of course only use what i need), and am working as well as i was a decade ago (actually better)!  anyway, hope you sort things out 👍

• Like 1

On 1/23/2023 at 7:00 PM, fisherking said:

there must be a reason for all of the issues you're having, and perhaps worth having someone take a look (or calling apple, who can screenshare with you, for example).

i appreciate all the options current logic pro has (but of course only use what i need), and am working as well as i was a decade ago (actually better)!  anyway, hope you sort things out 👍

I really don't know. I have tried to go through it with the company I bought the Mac from... but some of it is intermittent, so hard to fix.. and I have been onto them SO MANY TIMES (without a maintenance contract) that I think they've had enough of me. 😞

But thank you. I wish I could say it's better - but it most definitely isn't. Good luck with all your stuff.

1 hour ago, ADLondon said:

Hmmm... Are they really Logic experts though?

Hit or miss, probably. I called recently to ask about some of the timing issues oft-discussed on these forums and elsewhere (not that there's likely to be any new information available on those topics - just trying to be thorough). The people I talked to were helpful, but were probably less familiar with those issues than many people on these forums, and didn't have any new information to offer. But you never know! As others said above, you may have nothing to lose by giving it a try.

• Like 2

I will start keeping a Captain's Log of all the issues and when I get a bit more time to SPARE, I will call and go through as much as I can...

Feeding back issues is probably helpful in general for the future too, I guess (well one hopes anyway) 

Sorry if I sound a bit neg'd out... I have just found it all quite exasperating and tiring (and more so because some of it seems intermittent). I've found so many workarounds, I can't even remember them all. So notes will help. That said, I have had other things happen within the Mac and Finder so... maybe it's not all Logic... I can't help but wonder if I have bought the wrong Mac and it's underpowered for some of the things I need to do though... (even though I was sold on it being SO much more powerful/quicker etc. than my 2007 Mac Pro...) 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

fwiw, i had a logic-specific issue several years ago, called apple, asked to speak to support for logic, got to someone... who helped.

my 2019 imac (with 16gb ram) stumbles sometimes (on dense projects with lots of effects and automation). my trick is to make sure no apps are set to open on launch, and then i restart, and open ONLY that project. 

resetting the nvram and the SMC are useful tricks too (as is a safe boot)...

• Like 1

@fisherking"resetting the nvram and the SMC" - is that like in the old days "Zapping the P-Ram"?

I don't have stuff that opens on launch - UNLESS it was open before I shut down... and there are a few things (including Chrome and a lot of tabs!) Interesting... because 'back in the day' I didn't use the Mac for ANYTHING other than Logic. I'm not even sure I was connected to the net to make sure it didn't get 'distracted'. I wonder if having stuff open isn't helping the power.. even if they just in the background as such...

The stuff that I generally have open when I shut down (and so opens when I re-start) are things like:

Chrome, MacMail, Calendar, WhatsApp, Messenger and maybe Word

I always quit out of Logic before I shut down

54 minutes ago, ADLondon said:

The stuff that I generally have open when I shut down (and so opens when I re-start) are things like:

Chrome, MacMail, Calendar, WhatsApp, Messenger and maybe Word

I always quit out of Logic before I shut down

am suggesting you have NONE of those apps open on startup, so all processing power and memory is devoted to logic. and yes, resetting the nvram is 'zapping the pram'. google for your particular mac (and the smc reset).

a safe boot's a good place to start; hold down the shift key on startup; will take longer than usual; keep holding the key, you'll get to the login screen and should say 'safe boot' in red (upper right menubar).

sign in, reboot normally (safe boot is a good basic diagnostic; clears user cache, etc)

• Like 1