My old mac isn't coping with this project!

Chokkyhen
Go to solution Solved by MikeRobinson,

Rather than buy a new one I've tried to..

a  'Bounce in Place' my audio files so they are now on one track and I can work on other instruments and stil l hear them.

b  Increase the latency (bit teccy for me)

..and it's still breaking down.  Rather than buy a new mac for this one song - is there anything I can do?

Thank you and in hope of help....xxxxxxxx

Screenshot 2023-01-24 at 14.15.41.png

Screenshot 2023-01-24 at 17.24.56.png

Screenshot 2023-01-24 at 17.32.14.png

which version logic? and which mac, which OS??

turn off the original tracks after you bounce-in-place. increase the buffer range.

reboot (making sure no apps are set to open on startup), and open ONLY that logic project and try to work.

do other projects work ok? so many variables... but more info would help.

and others here will have ideas as well...

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Chokkyhen said:

Should I delete the original tracks after 'bounce in place"?   They are backed up but I guess the problem will come back when I put them back in.

Rather than deleting, I'd try turning off tracks you're not using first. It looks like you don't have that enabled in your track headers. Maybe you already know about this feature, but to enable it, press option-T to open the track configuration panel, then make sure 'On/Off' is checked. (You may need Settings->Advanced->Enable Complete Features to be on if it's not already.) If you disable all tracks associated with a channel (which is typically just one, but can be more), that should save resources.

You can also use track on/off to try to narrow down where the problem is by turning all tracks off, then turning them back on one by one and seeing if it overloads. You may already be doing this, but you can also watch the performance meters (CPU and HD) if you have them visible in the control bar.

• Like 2

Do not delete the tracks after "bounce in place."   Once the "bounce" is done, the contributing tracks should be turned-off and therefore should not contribute in any way to future CPU load.

If you need to "bounce or freeze," I suggest that you do it very systematically.

As soon as you are "done, at least for the moment," with any particular section or aspect of your project, "bounce it down or freeze it."  Then, having done so, make very sure that all of the contributing tracks are, in fact, now disabled.  Methodically walk through every track on the list, to be sure that it is now as it should be: "it only takes a few ..."

The entire concept of both "bounce" and "freeze" is that "the contributing material is still available."  You are simply trying to reduce the instant computational load by dividing the overall project into, if you will, "layers."  Which you can now "compute" one-at-a-time, and without the "in real time" requirement.

Edited by MikeRobinson
  • Like 2

Your responses are quicker than mone so this may be out of date...

OK restarted and still a problem.  My lastest message attached.  I''ll talk to Apple support unless any other ideas come along...

Re other projects one sample song with 86 tracks was a problem when I was first learning from Logic Pro book.

Is saving stuff on my desktop causing problems perhaps?

Nothing deleted!  They seemed to turn themselves off when I bounced them (they are grey). Checked on/off thank you!  Turning tracks on and off is a great idea - will try it but this Mac is slow generally so I need to tlak to them I think.

Really appreciate your kind help. xxxx

Screenshot 2023-01-24 at 18.07.32.png

I would start with freezing tracks. Especially virtual instrument tracks.

Keep in mind, if you open a lot of the channel presets from the library they each open up their own bus sends and populate those busses with reverbs. So you may have 7 Reverbs going.

I would reduce those to a short one and a long one, rereoute the sends and then remove the unnecessary bus channels.

• Like 2

• Solution

I can't tell anything useful from your "screen shot," but I emphasize:  "methodically."  Walk through every track to see if it should be on or off.  "Bounce or freeze" every part of the project which "the CPU does not actually need to 'real-time generate' right now."

The freeze/bounce features are extremely powerful, but it's also possible that some "software generation feature (track)" is still turned on.  You won't necessarily be able to "hear" that this computer-power is now being wasted.

Start with the project "from track #1 to the very last," and methodically check every single one.

The strategy is to divide the project into "layers" which can be "computed" one at a time, each one being "computed, not 'in real time.'"

Edited by MikeRobinson

7 minutes ago, Chokkyhen said:

Is 'muted' the same thing as 'turned off'?

Nope! That's why there are different buttons for those two functions! 🙂

Would muted use some CPU and turned off none?

Correct! Mute just mutes the audio being played from those tracks to the mixer, the track is still being played/processed (for technical reasons, so you can seamlessly automate muting through a project, etc).

Turning them off stops the actual tracks being played, and therefore the CPU is not spending effort calculating them.

Computers baffle me.

They're usually straightforward, once the concepts are grasped - those aren't necessarily intuitively obvious, but that is a good reason to ask about stuff here!

Edited by des99
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

8 minutes ago, wonshu said:

I would start with freezing tracks. Especially virtual instrument tracks.

Keep in mind, if you open a lot of the channel presets from the library they each open up their own bus sends and populate those busses with reverbs. So you may have 7 Reverbs going.

I would reduce those to a short one and a long one, rereoute the sends and then remove the unnecessary bus channels.

I vaguely know what a bus and a send is but they are scary indeed!  I'm sitting here on my own trying to produce a song becasue I couldn't find a producer. Still very much a beginner. I appreciate your help but this is way over my head - I may need online help of some kind.  Transferring my backed up files from desktop now and thery are huge. That may have been a problem. xxxx

6 minutes ago, des99 said:

Nope! That's why there are different buttons for those two functions! 🙂

Correct! Mute just mutes the audio being played from those tracks to the mixer, the track is still being played/processed (for technical reasons, so you can seamlessly automate muting through a project, etc).

Turning them off stops the actual tracks being played, and therefore the CPU is not spending effort calculating them.

They're usually straightforward, once the concepts are grasped - those aren't necessarily intuitively obvious, but that is a good reason to ask about stuff here!

The on/off button has been there all this time and I now see it for the first time. xxxxxx

• Like 1