Alchemy: VA number of oscillators - non-integral?

dmitch57

Go to solution Solved by des99,

When editing a basic VA voice in Alchemy, you can specify the number of oscillators, with a detune variation between voices. Nice. 

But the knob that selects the number of oscillators is continuous - not detented at integers. And you can dial it to somewhere between e.g. 1 and 2; the value says "1", but the audible signal is different than when you select either one or two voices. That is, you can apparently dial in a non-integral number of voices. You can hear the difference as you are sliding from 1 to 2. 

How can this possibly be? What does it mean to have 1.5 voices? 

• Like 1

Don't have the answer, but just chiming in 'cause I was curious about that as well. It could be doing something like fading the next voice in between integer values, but the behavior doesn't seem to be documented.

• Solution

I'm not sure the 1-16 thing is entirely being honest with us. 😉 

It's been a while since I used Alchemy 1.x, so I had a look to refresh my memory. In Alchemy 1.5, the number of unison oscillators doesn't behave like that, and it can be set from 1 to 600 - yes, 600 unison oscillators if you want (these same oscillators are used for additive partials, hence the high numbers available).

Given that Alchemy 2 (in Logic) can play version 1.x patches, unison must be capable of those numbers, hence I think you're not just getting 4 voices of unison when the knob is set to 4 - and hence the differences that are clearly audible inbetween whole numbers on the dial.

Why did they do this for Alchemy 2? No idea, but there was presumably a good reason we're all missing!

Also, with unison detune set to 0, as you increase the Num parameter, you can hear and see the harmonics changing. In Alchemy 1.x, there were different pitch unison modes, which don't seem to be accessible from the UI (but are probably still there and available if you load in old patches that use them).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, des99 said:

Also, with unison detune set to 0, as you increase the Num parameter, you can hear and see the harmonics changing.

OK now I'm even more befuddled.  🤯

I think there may be mysteries we are not meant to comprehend.