Inserting Blank Track Headers for Templates

TheUncannyValley
Go to solution Solved by des99,

I'm using Logic 10.4.4. Does anyone know how I can insert completely blank tracks (without a name or any track components) like the tracks surrounded in red in the attached photo? 

I've already inserted nameless tracks by reassigning them to No Output and using the space bar to make the Track Name nameless, but the mute, lock & volume elements still appear. 

Thanks. 

B374EF98-4776-4D09-A3BB-E872BDD3B61F.jpeg

5 minutes ago, TheUncannyValley said:

I've already inserted nameless tracks by reassigning them to No Output and using the space bar to make the Track Name nameless, but the mute, lock & volume elements still appear. 

I don't get the mute button on no output tracks:

SCR-20230125-hvf.png.87b79a7651e1464bb6eebc29bfb25fd6.png

Some of the other common controls for a track still appear though, depending on what you've chosen to view in the track header.

Edited by des99
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

I can get blank "No Output" tracks if I enter a space for their name: 

Yes, me too, and the OP is doing that. The OP doesn't want the other track controls that he has configured, like the power button, lock etc, that *will* show up on the track if he's chosen to display those controls.

He wants a track without those controls, but still have them available on regular tracks. I'm not sure that's possible, without hacking something. The best I can do is just turn of anything that's unwanted in the track header, like the lock, power button etc, make the name a space, and call it good.

If you have to have the lock button, power button available, you'll just have to live with those on your no output tracks. It's really only those two buttons that show up on a no output track anyway. Plus the track alternatives menu.

In the video, he doesn't have the power button, or lock button visible, so his no output tracks are totally blank, like this:

SCR-20230125-i5y.png.8b3106eb4c748f8738767bb876c422fb.png

That's what the guy in the video is doing, as far as I can see.

Edited by des99
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, des99 said:

the OP doesn't want the other track controls that he has configured, like the power button, lock etc, that *will* show up on the track if he's chosen to display those controls.

Yes he mentioned the name, which is what I addressed in my reply. EDIT sorry read too fast I see now that he mentioned it to state that he already knew how to get rid of it. 

The only ones that remain are the power and lock button, and the track alternatives symbol. 

1 minute ago, David Nahmani said:

Yes he mentioned the name, which is what I addressed in my reply. 

Yep, he said he was already doing that:

19 minutes ago, TheUncannyValley said:

I've already inserted nameless tracks by reassigning them to No Output and using the space bar to make the Track Name nameless

1 minute ago, David Nahmani said:

The only ones that remain are the power and lock button, and the track alternatives symbol.

Indeed. It's the best that can be done in this regard, as far as I can see.

• Like 1

No worries!

He does say the mute and volume elements appear for him on no output tracks... I'll check the behaviour of the 10.4.x he's running, as the behaviour might be different there to the current version...

Edit: I checked 10.4.8 at least, and the behaviour is the same. Only the power, lock, and track alternatives components appear on no output tracks, with every element configured on in the track header.

Edited by des99
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, des99 said:

...The OP doesn't want the other track controls that he has configured, like the power button, lock etc, that *will* show up on the track if he's chosen to display those controls.

He wants a track without those controls, but still have them available on regular tracks. I'm not sure that's possible, without hacking something.

In the video, he doesn't have the power button, or lock button visible, so his no output tracks are totally blank, like this:

SCR-20230125-i5y.png.8b3106eb4c748f8738767bb876c422fb.png

That's what the guy in the video is doing, as far as I can see.

I don't know if it matters, both of you are on 10.7.6, I'm on 10.4.4.
Regardless, des99 nailed it...I can't figure out how the guy in the video got a blank track with mute, solo, freeze & record enabled as track header components. I can get a blank track by deactivating on/off, mute, solo, protect & track alternatives, but then I'm stuck without those items on the other tracks, my template doesn't look right and the OCD kicks in. Blank tracks would look cool separating instrument group track stacks. 

I'll reach out to that guy and see if he can shed some light on it. Thank you both for your replies! 

Just now, des99 said:

Like I say, I checked and 10.4.8 onwards behaves as you want (I didn't have 10.4.4 to hand), so 10.4.8 behaves as in that guy's video. I expect he's therefore running at least 10.4.8, and to get the same behaviour, you would need to upgrade also.

I missed that, thank you for mentioning it. I'll see if I can find an App Store link for 10.4.8. Or maybe I'll just bite the bullet and actually upgrade to 10.5+. 

• Solution

Ok, I managed to find a copy of 10.4.4 squirrelled away, and can confirm what you see - the mute/solo/lock buttons are displayed on a no output track - so you'll need to upgrade to a slightly less-old version of Logic to get the functionality you need.

10.5.x gives you *a lot* of new stuff, and I recommend it (you can always keep your 10.4.x version, so you don't lose anything, just backup the app before upgrading).

• Like 2