Playhead doesn't snap to start of bar

dmitch57

Snap set to "Bar", Snap Regions to "Absolute Value". Selecting Locators works fine, with start and end bar-aligned. Moving regions works fine, bar-aligned. But placing the playhead doesn't work - it always drops to a point on beat 4 of the bar (instead of at the start of a bar). This happens in the main tracks pane and in the MIDI piano roll editor. 

It's just this project; other projects doesn't exhibit this behavior, and this just started today. I must have hit some option or triggered some unknown mode...? Does anyone know how to get out of this mode? Thanks.

Cursor Snap.gif

30 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

Just FYI, this does not affect the positioning of the playhead. 

It seems to on my machine, on other projects, see gif. Placement of the playhead has always been snapped just like everything else. 

32 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

Where is your project start marker located exactly?

1:1:1:1 in musical grid. 1:00:00.500 for SMPTE. That 0.500 in SMPTE seems odd, I don't know how that happened. 

Good Snap.gif

10 minutes ago, dmitch57 said:

Maybe you were referring just to the "Absolute Value" spec (not the snap value)?

That's correct. On the other hand if you region start marker is set to a non-bar position then that's the reference the playhead will use to snap to a relative value, which seems to be what you're experiencing: 

automation.gif

18 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

On the other hand if you region start marker is set to a non-bar position then that's the reference the playhead will use to snap to a relative value,

Not sure what you mean by "region start marker", it looks like you're adjusting the locators? For me even when the locators are bar-aligned, I have this problem. 

Start.gif

9 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

Still you have some weird playhead snapping behavior going on in that project.

Ho ho, this is a good one. This only happens when a time signature of other than 4/4 (or 4/8, etc.) is in place. And it always happens when not in 4. 

Try it - create an empty project, time 7/8. Go to snap-to-bar. Click on a barline in the ruler. Bang - the playhead goes somewhere else. Same with 3/4, 5/4, even 8/4. I verified with a user who'd never ran Logic. Workaround is to click and hold where you want the playhead.

I'm pretty sure this is a fairly recent thing, I worked in some odd time signatures late last year and didn't see this. 

• Like 1

Indeed, there seems to be an interaction between the set division vs the time signature (in the LCD) when the snap is set to bar. A short click will move the playhead according to same but a long click in the ruler sets the playhead at the desired/pointed position (most of the time).

I have just loaded an empty project set at 4/4 and start position 1.1.1.1

With piano roll and Tracks windows Snap set to Bar, Snap to bar doesn't work.

The playhead jumps to nearest 1/4 division closest to mouse cursor most times, other times it jumps to mouse cursor (very short click).

Click-Hold works to pull playhead to mouse cursor.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2023 at 4:18 AM, dmitch57 said:

Try it - create an empty project, time 7/8. Go to snap-to-bar. Click on a barline in the ruler. Bang - the playhead goes somewhere else. Same with 3/4, 5/4, even 8/4. I verified with a user who'd never ran Logic.

Yes, unfortunately I was able to reproduce this bug. I'll move this to the Bugs section and will report it to Apple as well. 

Also note that what I've noticed in the process of troubleshooting this bug is yet another bug: when the project start position is not exactly on a bar number, the playhead does not snap to the bar, even in 4/4. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...