Opening a customized Template in a new computer

musicismygas
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

Hi everyone,

What are the names of the indivudual Logic folders and files that contain customized Channel Strip Settings, Plugin presets, and maybe instruments, that are used to make your own Template?

My goal of locating these is to be able to manually copy them into a new computer, so that when I open up my customized template, everything would be recalled and opened up the same way.

Or do we even need to manually copy/move all of the used presets/settings, after a Template has been saved?

(Does saving a project as a Template do all of that work for you?)

Thanks again!

Just now, musicismygas said:

Do the individual channel strip and plugin settings all open up the same way in another computer,

even without moving those individual items manually?

Yes, just like for any Logic project, if you make any change to a channel strip or any of its plug-ins, then save the Logic project, then the new values are saved in the Logic project. 

Just now, David Nahmani said:

Yes, just like for any Logic project, if you make any change to a channel strip or any of its plug-ins, then save the Logic project, then the new values are saved in the Logic project. 

Ok, I was just concerned that after all of that work, the Template would have missing parts when opened in another system. Hope this isn't the case.

• Solution
Just now, musicismygas said:

I was just concerned that after all of that work, the Template would have missing parts when opened in another system. Hope this isn't the case.

No, no worries. The only thing you have to be concerned with is that whatever 3rd party plug-in you're using in your template has to be installed on the machine where you open the template - otherwise you won't be able to use that 3rd party plug-in.

• Like 1

Just now, David Nahmani said:

No, no worries. The only thing you have to be concerned with is that whatever 3rd party plug-in you're using in your template has to be installed on the machine where you open the template - otherwise you won't be able to use that 3rd party plug-in.

Absolutely. I have some saved email instructions from the 3rd party plugins that I use in the Template, to be able to recall them within the same project in another computer.

It seems that Logic has made it easier for us to re-use all of our customizations in any computer.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, musicismygas said:

It seems that Logic has made it easier for us to re-use all of our customizations in any computer.

Keep in mind that applies only to anything you customize inside the project itself. On the other hand, you may need to import any custom preferences you may have customized on one machine onto the next. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

Keep in mind that applies only to anything you customize inside the project itself. On the other hand, you may need to import any custom preferences you may have customized on one machine onto the next. 

Ok, so all this only applies to plugins/settings that are used inside the Template

36 minutes ago, musicismygas said:

so all this only applies to plugins/settings that are used inside the Template

Yes and to everything that is saved with the project: screensets, MIDI Transform sets, etc etc...

Just anything global that you've adjusted in Logic Pro > Settings > ... is not contained in a specific project but in a global preference file. More details: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David Nahmani said:

Yes and to everything that is saved with the project: screensets, MIDI Transform sets, etc etc...

Just anything global that you've adjusted in Logic Pro > Settings > ... is not contained in a specific project but in a global preference file. More details: 

Thanks, David. I'll definitely note this.

For now I will start small and focus on the Template.

I'll review global/general Logic preferences, etc afterwards.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, musicismygas said:

Is it fairly easy to transfer these global settings (or anything outside the Templates) into a new Mac with an external harddrive?

Yes. When manipulating preference files, make sure you first quit Logic Pro. 

No on the source machine, in the Finder, hold down the Option key while you press the Go menu and choose Go > Library, then inside the Preferences folder, find com.apple.logic10.plist and move it to the new Mac and replace the existing one with that one. 

5 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

Yes. When manipulating preference files, make sure you first quit Logic Pro. 

No on the source machine, in the Finder, hold down the Option key while you press the Go menu and choose Go > Library, then inside the Preferences folder, find com.apple.logic10.plist and move it to the new Mac and replace the existing one with that one. 

Thanks, will take note.

So by doing things, every setting in Logic will be copied into the other system?

Or is there a different process for Channel Strip Settings, stock Plugin presets, Instrument presets, Logic project settings, etc.? 

3 hours ago, musicismygas said:

So by doing things, every setting in Logic will be copied into the other system?

Or is there a different process for Channel Strip Settings, stock Plugin presets, Instrument presets, Logic project settings, etc.? 

Yes all of this is a different process. Most of this is found in these locations:

• Macintosh HD/Library/Audio/
  • Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Logic/
  • {your-username}/Music/Audio Music Apps/
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

Yes all of this is a different process. Most of this is found in these locations:

• Macintosh HD/Library/Audio/
  • Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Logic/
  • {your-username}/Music/Audio Music Apps/

Thank you for this list.

Are there also other locations other than these?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

As far as I can remember that's it.

There can sometimes be files and settings hidden inside the Logic Pro app package. To get to them you have to control-click the Logic Pro app and choose Show Package Content then hunt for them. 

Thanks for all of this info, David!

I'll revisit and make sure to check out those folders.

So to recap:

- Template settings are embedded and no need to manually copy files from one system to another

- all other settings that are not in use in the atemplate have to be manually transferred over

• Like 1

10 hours ago, musicismygas said:

Thank you for this list.

Are there also other locations other than these?

I forgot to ask,

Should we copy the whole folders

(into the hard drive, and into the new system),

Or the individual files inside of them.

Do the location and folder structures have to be the same in the new system?

Or will the new Logic install automatically take care of those folder structures?