Crackles while playback - CPU normal - changes dramatically which track is selected

Sir Hannes

Hi,

I've got crackles in audio in my big session. Not in the beginning, where less instruments are playing. After a 1/3rd, it becomes obviously. Now, if I select an instrument track, it's there. Selecting an audio track, let these noise become BIG crackles.
In the past, I always selected an audio track to not record-enable an instrument track to overload one CPU core. Since September I have a new M1 and till some days it's first time, I think, this old LogicPro 9 Intel-MacBookPro Issues are back (Jezzzz).

What's wrong with Logic?

1024 samples, using external SPL interface.

On 2/1/2023 at 10:06 AM, Sir Hannes said:

Hi,

I've got crackles in audio in my big session. Not in the beginning, where less instruments are playing. After a 1/3rd, it becomes obviously. Now, if I select an instrument track, it's there. Selecting an audio track, let these noise become BIG crackles.

What's wrong with Logic?

1024 samples, using external SPL interface.

Not to jump to conclusions but I've asked myself the same question on many an occasion. I have a very robust system and storage combination and yet despite these things Logic will exemplify these types of issues without rhyme or reason.

Now.... notwithstanding the sometimes legitimacy of suggestions to rule out things like plugins and etc. that will sometimes work; but it's the times when all else has been ruled out and "no one" else has a problem that is quite frustrating at best. Especially when there are situations when absolutely nothing has changed between the time it seemingly worked without issue and then out of the blue, problems.

But have you tried freezing your instrument tracks to acquire some relief? I run pretty big projects as well and sometimes freezing all the instrument tracks (green freeze, not blue) to include the plugins as well will help.

If you can't find resolve by the posts offered in this thread, I've found that converting all instrument tracks to audio and placing them into a new project is the way to go. It would be a workaround at best.

Edited by Maestro777

Will post screenshots soon (weekend now). 

Yes, for sure, I use 3rd party plugins since 16 years. Try to avoid no-name brands to protect Logic from going nuts.

No, the CPU meter is pretty useless to me since I am on Logic Pro X. Since a week or so I got suddenly errors that the CPU isn't able to proceed in playback. This appears in another project suddenly, too. In each case the CPU meter is below the half of it. 

Yes, bouncing will be my go-to. But I am in composing mode, still. Cannot go back after bouncing to change MIDI notes.

Edited by Sir Hannes