Graphical errors or something else?

AMD

Hi everyone!

I'm having some trouble with Logic (again) and I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered this behaviour? I've attached some screenshots below. 

1. In screenshot 1, I've used cmd+A to select everything, then copied and pasted it to bar 17. On the Rev Snare track, you can see  a small region at the end of bar 20 that isn't there on the track that I copied.

2. In screenshot 2, I've used ctrl+cmd+R to repeat everything inside the locators. As you can see at the end of the repeated section, several tracks have extra little regions on then ends, which aren't present in the section I copied. 

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks.

Screenshot 1.png

Screenshot 2.png

Usually, when Scenario 2 happens, the right locator is ever so slightly before the region's end, so Logic divides the region at that point (leaving a very short region on the right), then inserts the repeated section and moves the short snippets to the right of the inserted area. To be able to display anything meaningful, if you have zoomed out quite a bit like in your screenshot, Logic displays the small regions way wider than they actually are. You will see this when zooming in on them.

I have no idea how Scenario 1 could have happened, because no region dividing takes place if you simply select, copy and paste regions.

Edited by polanoid
  • Like 1

A good theory polanoid, but it doesn't explain why only some of the regions have extra bits on the end. As you can see from my screenshot, the locators are set precisely from 21 1 1  1 -  25 1 1  1.

Anyway, I haven't been able to recreate it yet today, but I'm sure it'll happen again at some point.

Edited by AMD

6 minutes ago, AMD said:

A good theory Polaroid, but it doesn't explain why only some of the regions have extra bits on the end. As you can see from my screenshot, the locators are set precisely from 21 1 1  1 -  25 1 1  1.

In that case, only some of the regions exceeded the locator area. This happens already if an audio region extends past the right locator by only one sample. Here's a screenshot. I have made the leftmost region one sample longer than the right locator position and then did a Repeat Section image.png.46031c548fe8053b49d2450dd45f1ffb.png

Edited by polanoid
  • Like 1

Just now, AMD said:

That's what I thought initially, but I've checked all the regions and they are exact. Also, when repeat the same section now I can't recreate the issue, so it must be some sort of graphical weirdness.

I'm pretty sure it's not and the small regions were actually there (not a graphical artefact)

51 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

Ok yes let us know as there could be a few factors at play I can think of here creating this issue. 

Hi David. I just remembered that the regions were definitely there yesterday even when I zoomed in because I could move them around individually and delete them etc. It was only on reopening the project that I found I was unable to recreate the issue.

Just now, AMD said:

they were gone and I haven't been able to reproduce the issue yet.

Ok but I'm wondering if they were gone only visually when zoomed out, but still there when you zoomed back in? I've seen this occur in early versions of Logic Pro X. 

Otherwise, regions should never just disappear between when you save a project and when you reopen it, I've never experienced that myself. Are those audio regions? It would be good to know what's the history of those regions, I see "Rev Snare", did you reverse them in the Region inspector? 

In any case, not an easy troubleshooting task, so if you're happy to just move on for now I understand but if you want to dig deeper then we'd need to look closer at what those regions are. 

Hi David.

Yesterday, they remained there even after a zoom.

They're all MIDI except for rev snare, which was reversed in the region inspector.

It's happened before in other projects and then disappeared also. I'll move on for now and if it happens again I'll record it and report back.

Thanks for your help.

2 hours ago, AMD said:

I'm not sure I understand. Of course they contain MIDI data?

How could I possibly know from looking at your Tracks Area screenshots? Also, of course, I'm talking about the little artefact snippets that we try to find out the origin of. So you looked into them? What MIDI data did they contain? Stuff that originally came from the long regions preceding them?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, polanoid said:

How could I possibly know from looking at your Tracks Area screenshots? Also, of course, I'm talking about the little artefact snippets that we try to find out the origin of. So you looked into them? What MIDI data did they contain? Stuff that originally came from the long regions preceding them?

Ah, sorry. I get you now. No, the little snippets were all empty.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David Nahmani said:

That's often what happens in Scenario #2 described by @polanoid earlier.

Except that none of the regions extend beyond the locators and the locators were set precisely, hence I can't seem to recreate the issue. Anyway, it's all good for now, so anything further and I'll post here.

Thank you both for your help.

Edited by AMD
  • Like 1