Programming natural, interdependent Hi Hats in Sampler- Round Robin groups for each sample

usernamesareforsuckers

Hi!

So I am attempting to setup realistic Hi Hat relationships for a drumkit in Logic’s Sampler. So, I originally set up max # of polyphony to 1 for each Round Robin group of my Hi Hat samples, and also assigning those four round robin groups to Exclusive 1 to that any Hi Hat sample trigger would cancel out a previous one. Okay, this is good, but this method also won’t allow for natural tails of, say, open hi hats played consecutively (which wouldn’t naturally cancel out previous hits on a real kit).

So I found this great solution to this issue in the following post, which explains that you should NOT set the polyphony to 1, but rather create separate groups for open hi hats, closed hi hats, pedal hits, and half-open hi hats. Then you set each of these groups to the same Exclusive group so that competing hi-hat-hit-type groups will interrupt other types but not interrupt consecutive hits of the same type: 

Okay, cool, so I set this up before realizing that I have four round robin groups for each hi hat sample/voice, each in their own groups. Can anyone help me figure out how to apply the solution in the above post when you have round robins in their own groups too? In other words, my problem would be that round-robin group #1 of open-hi-hat sound would be interrupted from a consecutive open-hi-hat sample trigger because the consecutive trigger will likely playback a open-hi-hat sample from one of the other three round-robin groups and therefore break the logic of groups being able to interrupt groups. I hope I explained myself sufficiently, haha

Here is an example of the groups that I have, each containing multiple keys worth of 16 velocities each. In case it’s helpful to know, I originally got the four round robin groups from Auto Sampler before splitting them up to their own Open/Closed/half open/pedal groups. How might I assign/set these up to involve the solution as described in the above post so that consecutive hits within the same round robin groups won’t interrupt triggered samples of the same type, but other types DO interrupt each other?

Hi Hat - Open - Round Robin #1
Hi Hat - Open - Round Robin #2
Hi Hat - Open - Round Robin #3
Hi Hat - Open - Round Robin #4
Hi Hat - Closed - Round Robin #1
Hi Hat - Closed - Round Robin #2
Hi Hat - Closed - Round Robin #3
Hi Hat - Closed - Round Robin #4
Hi Hat - Half Open - Round Robin #1
Hi Hat - Half Open - Round Robin #2
Hi Hat - Half Open - Round Robin #3
Hi Hat - Half Open - Round Robin #4
Hi Hat - Pedal - Round Robin #1
Hi Hat - Pedal - Round Robin #2
Hi Hat - Pedal - Round Robin #3
Hi Hat - Pedal - Round Robin #4

Thanks very much for any and all feedback or suggestions.

• David Nahmani changed the title to Programming natural, interdependent Hi Hats in Sampler- Round Robin groups for each sample

I haven't changed the way I set up my hi hats since that forum exchange a few years ago. But have you checked out how Apple handles it for the Drum Kit Designer kits? If you create a new software instrument track, choose Drum Kit, then change the Drum Kit plug-in to Sampler, you'll see the guts of that Drum Kit. 

I don't know Sampler well enough to completely understand what's going on there in the Mapping section, but it looks like they do use classes but maybe don't use round robin. (But I could be mistaken.) Of course, Apple uses .caf files for these instruments, and from what I can tell, a .caf file might contain multiple samples, so maybe they're achieving the round robin effect by drawing from different hits within each .caf file...?

Anyway, I'll be following this topic to see what you learn.

Edited by schmargle