Considering Computer Upgrade?

kurtminus

Hello,

I'm running a Macbook Air (Retina, 13-inch, 2018) with 1.6ghz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor, and 16gb 2133 mhz LPDDR3 memory. I'm using the latest version of Logic.

My system runs Logic pretty well for the most part, however, on projects with lots of tracks, plugins, and software instruments, playback regularly bogs down and I get the "system overload" errors. In a project full of tracks and software instruments, it can be near impossible to record new tracks unless I freeze all existing tracks.

All of this has me considering a system upgrade. My question is, what kind of processing power do I need to really avoid the "system overload" issues?

Thanks!

The thing to do would be to check out the Geekbench score for your machine, and the Geekbench scores of current machines you're interested. That will give you some rough idea of the performance improvement you can expect (along with less heat, noise and more battery life).

Edited by des99
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, des99 said:

The thing to do would be to check out the Geekbench score for your machine, and the Geekbench scores of current machines you're interested. That will give you some rough idea of the performance improvement you can expect (along with less heat, noise and more battery life).

Thanks for the tip, interesting stuff. How do the scores compare to what I'll be able to do in logic with the machine? Does a geekbench increase from 700s to 1800s mean I'll be able to run twice as many tracks and plugins before running into system overload? I imagine it's not quite comparable like that.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all,

Revisiting this again. I'm working on a project with about 20 tracks, a few software instruments, lots of plugins, and I can hardly even play the audio anymore, it just overloads. Will buying a new-ish computer do anything about this or would it be a waste of money?

Is this worth it?

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/G15T6LL/A/refurbished-13-inch-macbook-air-apple-m2-chip-with-8‑core-cpu-and-10‑core-gpu-space-gray

On 2/18/2023 at 4:10 PM, kurtminus said:

Is it "worth it" to splurge for the highest end processor and most RAM?

If you're not doing 8k video editing, there's no need to buy a Mac Studio.

An M1 or M2 mini will do fine. Just fill up on ram and SSD space because they're not upgradable.

https://www.apple.com/mac-mini/

Edited by triplets
  • Like 1

On 2/19/2023 at 1:04 AM, kurtminus said:

Hey all,

Revisiting this again. I'm working on a project with about 20 tracks, a few software instruments, lots of plugins, and I can hardly even play the audio anymore, it just overloads. Will buying a new-ish computer do anything about this or would it be a waste of money?

Is this worth it?

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/G15T6LL/A/refurbished-13-inch-macbook-air-apple-m2-chip-with-8‑core-cpu-and-10‑core-gpu-space-gray

That MacBook Air looks like a killer machine. 1TB drive, 24 GB RAM, you can't go wrong. You'll be miles ahead of your current i5 machine. Go for it. 🙂