Strange behavior with Logic Pro

I have a feeling as I finish up the book I will be starting a few more threads but there have been a few behaviors with Logic Pro on my iMac that are strange and confounding.  I'm hoping there is some explanation but honestly it feels like the app is no responding properly at times and I'm not sure what to do about it or why it's happening.

I'll start with the behavior today, related to Lesson 6 in the book, specifically Step 6 on pg. 295.  I did this more than a few times following the few steps to this point exactly as described but continued to get only the message Learn Assignment for "-".  I had to select and reselect the loops in various grids 4-5 times before finally I got the expected Learn Assignment for "Live Loops Cell (Column 1)".  From that point forward, at least until now as I type this, the message is as expected based on whatever I have last clicked or selected, i.e. any control, any live loop position, etc.  The only difference at this point between what I see and what is shown in the book is that I get the Expert View in Controller Assignments and the Easy View button is greyed out.

The other odd and oft recurring behavior is with the trackpad cursor - I'm using a Magic Trackpad 2, 2017 i5 iMac running Monterey 12.6, and Logic Pro 10.7.5.  The cursor will often change to a move left/right cursor and stay that way.  This is not after passing or pausing on a control for which the cursor applies, it seems totally random.  This happens such as when moving the pointer to the tracks menu near the Edit and Functions options and when closing a project - see attachments.  Behavior is still fine, a click will "reset" the pointer and take the expected action so this is more an annoyance than an outright functional problem.

804186467_Image1.jpeg.c72c17b718771bdeae59a8b3687116e7.jpeg    Image.jpeg.b9c97c43e73a23c7ef819449173cf7b0.jpeg

And the hits keep coming. This time with Logic Remote.  Lesson 6 Pg 317, Step 5.  Remote on my iPad shows only 1 plug-in, the tremolo on track 7 Alpha Matrix Bass.  Clicking on the FX slot on track 2, Snaps only brings up virtual instruments, not FX.

Restarted Remote, only change was now even the tremolo on track 7 disappeared.  Restarted both Logic Pro and Remote, same - nothing shown on any channel - (all are there and visible in Logic Pro). 🤯

No ideas on either of the issues described in my first two posts?

David - another book question.  Lesson 6, smart controls.  Specifically pg 302 "Mapping Smart Controls to Plug-ins" where you state "The MIDI to Smart Controls...are global.  They control the smart controls on the selected track on the Logic project you open."

I have re-read, and gone back to this statement several times but it just doesn't make sense to me.  I guess it's the "selected" qualifier of the statement and where you state "the Logic project".  I sort of took this to mean the selected track as in, like the exercise, track 7, and the logic project as any logic project.  So, track 7 in any (all) Logic project(s) will now have said Smart Controls mapped?  Doesn't really make sense that way.  Or, is it any selected track in any project, but it would only apply to a track if the same plugin is used.  To me, the only thing that really makes sense for a global application of the mapping is for the mapped control to apply globally to the specific plugin but that's not at all what you wrote.  Totally confused...  Thanks. 

On 2/8/2023 at 12:43 AM, JimN said:

I had to select and reselect the loops in various grids 4-5 times before finally I got the expected Learn Assignment for "Live Loops Cell (Column 1)". 

Had you ever used the controller assignments on your Mac? It's possible that the control surface preference file had a problem. If it's working now, all good but in case you get problems again, you could try trashing that file and starting over. If you do, let us know in the "Logic Pro" forum so that we can troubleshoot that issue for you. 

On 2/8/2023 at 12:43 AM, JimN said:

The other odd and oft recurring behavior is with the trackpad cursor

Unfortunately, cursor graphic issues are fairly common in Logic Pro (and on other apps on the Mac as well). They usually don't impede the functionality, they're just a nagging glitch that makes you doubt your mouse tool assignment, unfortunately. Not much that can be done about it. 😞

I had not used controller assignments previously, no.  It just seems another bit of glitchy behavior with the Mac/Logic, which I'm finding is fairly common.

Do you have any thoughts on clearing up the confusion I have from my other question above regarding the global changes?  Thanks