Gratulations: Mac Studio 128 GB System Overload (...)

emanuel_froes
Go to solution Solved by analogika,

Logic shows the system overload message. But Computer is fine, and Logic plays a ridiculous easy track.  This happened many times before with this computer. Yesterday only 32 GB ram was used, from 128 . Template is loaded to 20% only I guess, out of 500 tracks. But there are suspect guy like the VEP tracks i don´t use.

NOw it happens precisely on same bar 137. One Alchemy track against two live tracks. They have EW reverbs in common (muhahhaha)

Maybe this gives a hint?

Any idea?Screenshot2023-02-26at04_23_04.thumb.png.ae0bcb79dbe584e54809ac9852a33656.png

Screenshot 2023-02-26 at 04.22.56.png

Screenshot 2023-02-26 at 04.23.18.png

THx DAvid! BUt wait! I know this trick. I show below what i have in the session, maybe you can judge better. And notice: computer works fine, uses 32 Gb ram still!  The sound glitch is also different , not like the case of overload msg in my old mac . PLs take a look https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1eQTeBcI8mkmsY_YyMrRaXdBA5dAUWr-1?usp=share_link

My guess is the 5T HDD My Passport. This caused me issues of different kinds today and yesterday: disk utility failed to load ; this disk also failed on first aid ; the disk does not show up after working for long time in same session in Logic. 

I am using a lot this same drive, I save many folders there, and all the studio thing. 

Something in the ext. disk may cause the message disk too slow then? While the computer itselfs just goes like a breeze

Many things are purged, i just use reverb and compression/eq.     My only mistake is that some reverbs are not on sends yet.  

Another guess is the latch function: it turns on randomly in the last days. I may open a thread for this, but have to check if i do mistake here

The project has video. This video vaused problems before because of codec. Then i converted it.

Similar to this, Safari went mny times crazy and killed my cpu alone. This is certainly a bug, or some site that starts running something insane to kill me... Like 2x a week this happens. 

TO keep working i gonna save as, clean up, delete the unneeded files, and see what comes. Since i am still building template, this is why the file is very full.

Edited by emanuel_froes

6 hours ago, emanuel_froes said:

TO keep working i gonna save as, clean up, delete the unneeded files, and see what comes. Since i am still building template, this is why the file is very full.

Yes clean up anything you can is great. Also, to troubleshoot, you can try playing back the project without video, or moving it to your system drive, to see if those affect Logic's behavior. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wonshu said:

If you suspect hard drive issues then backup your data.

Do it now.

Y.E.S.! thanks very much.  I did yesterday. I also will move the project to desktop now, and I am bouncing the tracks down. Otherwise i may lose my payment today. ; )

it is a dilema: all in one drive is  more risk ; but too much ext. drives is a pain to go mobile on laptop later, and also too much stress with the licenses and locations. 

9 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

Yes clean up anything you can is great. Also, to troubleshoot, you can try playing back the project without video, or moving it to your system drive, to see if those affect Logic's behavior. 

good idea! Yes i was attached to video.    Yesterday i saved all in  new file without undo data and worked normally .    But can you confirm if that glitch in the sound is a drive issue? I never got this ; i got just that normal stutter of performance when intel was overloaded.  See the screen recording sent. 

Ca. 500 tracks + files sucking from same drive at same time. Maybe new Mac studio demands more performance of this old drive?  I could also try a formatation from zero made in this m1. The disk was formatted on Intel two years ago.

1 hour ago, emanuel_froes said:

Maybe new Mac studio demands more performance of this old drive?

Didn't I already read somewhere that new mac computers with a married(read: soldered) harddrive have a harddrive with worse performance than the previous ones...

https://www.macrumors.com/2023/01/24/m2-mac-mini-256gb-slower-ssd/

I don't think it's worth buying a new machine until benchmarkers publish their evaluation results.

Edited by olavsu1

On 2/27/2023 at 8:20 PM, triplets said:

I suspect it's a spinning drive. Is it 7200rpm? If it's 5400rpm, that's too slow for real-time back and forth.

And I also suspect it is formatted in HFS+ and not ExFat?

Thx for your knowledge! Yes, I feel like it is a "big opa"., better not stress it so much. And I stress it a lot.  I did the backup to Idrive, but still looking for a solution.  The drive is loud and always busy.

I moved the project to desktop and it looks improved the performance with the video without overload msg´s ; at least I worked until delivery. ; )

It looks i will have to have a 5t SSD for my 4T mac studio and a studio and mobile drive. My mac i want to not use more than 1 , 5 T .  

This means i need another drive (this My Passport) for full time machine backup, and Idrive for a cloud backup.

Meanwhile I guess the best is to not stress it too much with multiple tasks.

I also consider putting the VI´s all on Macstudio, making ca. 2 T of espace.  Does not look good a powerful horse sucking from this "old" drive...

Screenshot 2023-03-01 at 20.33.32.png

Screenshot 2023-03-01 at 20.38.22.png

That is the speed of the interface, not necessarily the drive. I looked up a 5tb MyPassport and found a 2.5” portable drive. It is 7200 rpm’s but a bus powered portable drive like this would never be my 1st choice for a recording drive. Is this connected straight to the USB port or through a hub? If a hub, is it a quality hub and are there other devices that could be hogging the bandwidth?

17 minutes ago, redgreenblue said:

That is the speed of the interface, not necessarily the drive. I looked up a 5tb MyPassport and found a 2.5” portable drive. It is 7200 rpm’s but a bus powered portable drive like this would never be my 1st choice for a recording drive. Is this connected straight to the USB port or through a hub? If a hub, is it a quality hub and are there other devices that could be hogging the bandwidth?

i connect direct to thunderbolt. This is my happiness now with mac studio

19 minutes ago, redgreenblue said:

He  hub is a good powered hub , but also busy. 

the mark is Enter. I can´t it is the best, but the best i ever had

Photo on 01.03.23 at 21.26.jpg

14 minutes ago, redgreenblue said:

Plus you have that formatted for APFS and there is some argument for spinning platter drives to be formatted for HFS. Personally I would buy a quality 2 terabyte SSD for recording and use this drive for archiving/non recording purposes. 

THanks! This is my idea. ButI think about a 5 T ssd, and put all there + cloud backup ?

Because i don´t find smart to put two drives on mac book when i am out.

5 hours ago, triplets said:

So you're still paying over 100 dollars per TB.

Prices didn't come down that much.

yes it is much! but the other one is -50%

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/SanDisk-Extreme-Portable-External-Drive/dp/B08RX4QKXS/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=5t%2Bssd&qid=1677709110&s=amazon-devices&sr=1-3&th=1

do you think this is a good deal? it is slower

but wait, the original price of this one was expensiver than the fastest ssd! lol

the thing is that it sucks with low storage, principally with licenses and moving files etc. 

i could not write yesterday

Edited by emanuel_froes

• Solution

Production always on the internal drive, whenever possible. If external, SSD only.  

Mechanical hard drives SUCK for music production. They are slow, any vibration or physical irritation KILLS what terrible performance they have (vibration will cause the mechanical read/write head to lose track and force it to re-read on the next rotation, or even lock up the drive entirely for a few hundred milliseconds as the heads are parked away from the platters to avoid mechanical damage). 

Use mechanical hard drives ONLY for archival and backup purposes. 

As for external SSDs: I have five or six Samsung T5/T7 drives that I've been quite happy with. I think the SanDisk portables are comparable. 

• Like 1