No Transpose and No Reset (Inspector > track) [SOLVED]

Danny Wyatt
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

What's the purpose of these 2 options?

I know that No Transpose avoids transposing the notes inside the region if we select the region and hit the shortcut to transpose, so in this case I would like to know what's the purpose of even having this feature at all? Any example on how this can be useful?

The No Reset, I have no idea what it does and also, what is the end goal?

Edited by Danny Wyatt

• Solution

No Transpose is used typically for drums, so that you can select all the regions inside a project and transpose and the drums track, even if they're selected, will not be transposed. Same with the global transpose track. 

No Reset prevents MIDI CC#121 (Reset All Controllers) from reaching the channel strip. 

36 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

will not be transposed

Thing is, the notes inside the region are still transposed, you just don't hear that change, which is why it doesn't make much sense to me (or maybe this is a bug in this version?). It would make sense if they were indeed "locked" and the notes wouldn't move at all.

You can even see the number (+1, -7, etc) change, the only thing is that you don't hear it.

Am I missing something here? Maybe I'm not understanding what you mean, or maybe this is indeed a bug?

38 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

Same with the global transpose track

What is that?

1 minute ago, Danny Wyatt said:

Thing is, the notes inside the region are still transposed, you just don't hear that change, which is why it doesn't make much sense to me (or maybe this is a bug in this version?). It would make sense if they were indeed "locked" and the notes wouldn't move at all.

aHA! Yes it's a bug. The Transpose parameter in the Region inspector did not, until recently, visibly transpose the notes in the MIDI region. The notes would stay at their original pitch. It's only recently that after many user complaints about that, they decided that the notes would actually move according to the Transpose value. I suppose they forgot to take care of the "No Transpose" use case.

3 minutes ago, Danny Wyatt said:

What is that?

Screen Shot 2023-02-27 at 1.57.43 PM.png

2 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

The Transpose parameter in the Region inspector did not, until recently, visibly transpose the notes in the MIDI region. The notes would stay at their original pitch

I don't know when this was fixed, but at least in this version 10.6.3, when I use the Transpose in the Region tab, the MIDI notes transpose as well. Maybe that issue was prior to this version?

4 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

I suppose they forgot to take care of the "No Transpose" use case

And in this case, when the notes are supposed to stay locked when No Transpose is enabled, they move... weird... but when I use the Transpose in the Track tab, whether with or without No Transpose selected, the notes don't move. Maybe this should work the same was as the regions?

• Danny Wyatt changed the title to No Transpose and No Reset (Inspector > track) [SOLVED]