Are Audio File Read/Write Defaults Project Specific?

Nunstummy

I'm working on an old project that might have been started in Logic 9.  When I open it Logic prompts to convert it to Logic 10.x (I'm on 10.7.7).  When I record a NEW vocal audio track, it defaults to read only and the functions in the edit window are greyed out.  Help window says "This menu item is disabled because the file is read only".  The problem is only with NEW audio files I'm recoding to this project.  Old audio files (like the guitar track) are Read & Write.  I presume I recorded these back in Logic v9.

In the Project | File browser, I noticed a little 'lock' icon but switching it makes no difference.  Admittedly, I've never really investigated what that lock icon means.

898A916E-4A12-4699-8B28-726288D3B211_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.ac3d31c719f08769d7d89c4f02c21afd.jpeg

I know this read only file locking is a familiar old thing - but I can't remember the details.

I tried exporting the locked audio file as a 24 bit *.aiff and re-importing it, but it was still locked.  So, I opened Finder, 'Cmd' + 'I' and manually changed the file attribute to Read & Write. Then when I imported it back into the project I was able to edit it!

As a comparison, I looked at a new project started in Logic 10.7 and using the same hardware and plugins audio files are stored as Read & Right.  This is what lead me to think there's something in Project Settings back in Logic v9 that dictates the default for saving audio file permissions.

I noticing any NEW audio file I have record in the last 6 months still defaults to Read Only, but only on this particular project, and I'm wondering if this was a project setting or something left over from Logic v9?

Edited by Nunstummy

Hi @Nunstummy,

4 hours ago, Nunstummy said:

In the Project | File browser, I noticed a little 'lock' icon but switching it makes no difference.  Admittedly, I've never really investigated what that lock icon means.

That little lock only enables/disables the possibility of changing the anchor position. BTW, the little clock means there's tempo information (metadata) embedded in the file.

4 hours ago, Nunstummy said:

I noticing any NEW audio file I have record in the last 6 months still defaults to Read Only, but only on this particular project, and I'm wondering if this was a project setting or something left over from Logic v9?

That's weird, but maybe you're right and it's related to the original project being Logic 9 project. There are a few old threads related to ending up with read-only files when recording. In this one for example, the issue was related to there being locked screensets in the project, pretty crazy:

Read/Write permission problems editing audio - Logic Pro - Logic Pro Help

J.

• Like 1