Copying automation data from MIDI to Audio fails

Sir Hannes

Hi,

I bounce MIDI objects to audio tracks without plugins. I have to copy the automation data. I am used to first create an audio track and then copy and paste the channelstrip. Now I copy and insert all midi objects "include automation data" to re-create that midi-track but as audio track. But this fails now. The parameters are not assigned, instead of a Cutoff I get a PlugIn bypass.

I think, because audio track is missing first slot = instrument plugin, it's not able to shift this, so parameters are not properly assigned.

Example:

ES2 with Step FX and Phat FX. Bounced to audio track with

Step FX and Phat FX: recreates "Bypass insert" which was filter cutoff at ES2 - and so on.

How to handle this?

8 hours ago, polanoid said:

When you hold the Cmd key while choosing a new parameter from the Automation Parameter menu, you will be given this option

image.thumb.png.0d52a95eecdd875ee97bf3d57f146839.png

which lets you copy or move the currently displayed automation curve to the one you're switching to.

Maybe that helps?

Thanks, but I know this feature and use it very often. In my scenario this creates a lot of work which shouldn't be there, because it's all digital and the channel strips are copied.

Will try what Atlas wrote.

• 2 weeks later...

Patches could be loaded to have different channelstrip settings without changing the automation mapping/assignment, providing that you took care to previously saving the patches accordingly (with the first instrument slot empty to coincide the plugin respective instantiation positions).

Of course that implies extra work. But if you plan to reuse those channelstrip combinations / patches, that work need to be done only once. The merge property of the patches could also become quite handy eventually.