Need a great sounding audio interface for home with my new Mac mini m2 pro

Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

Well I havent record anything and play with my band for almost 8 years... We're back together and we want to record our songs for Spotify, Apple Music…  We already have an old rme fireface at our drummer's place where he'll be tracking his drums. So for me I’m looking  for a great sounding interface with 2 inputs, that have great mic preamps and great guitar input and  that works great on new Mac mini M2. I’ll be doing my vocals with this at my house and my guitars (electric) and not sure if I’ll be using my mini jam 800 or plugins…. I’ll also be mixing the songs…

My budgets max 800-850 canadian…

I was looking at the duet 3, SSL 2+ and the audit Id14 mkII… but I really need advice!

Thanks

Check also MOTU M2, https://motu.com/en-us/products/m-series/m2/

I like it very much, transparent, excellent converters for the price. But if "great sounding" means that you are after some vintage type coloration, then M2 might not suite you well – otherwise it´s excellent.

It´s only 200 USD, so easily within your budget.

Edited by Chatka

thanks guys, I've tried to search forums a lot but most post are for windows and 80% seems to go for the audient or the SSL so I'll go with on of them. 

8 minutes ago, triplets said:

Tnis

Just on question what do you prefer on the SSL 2+ vs the ID14 MKII?   

Thanks

Not on your list but Focusrite Clarett+ would be a good choice also, the mic preamps have won "best mic preamp" category in Sound on Sound's 2023 annual award. 

I've been using the original Clarett 8preX since late 2015, got a modification done by Revive Audio and can vouch that they are great units with low latency for tracking w/plugins...

2 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

Are you happy with that modification? Did you truly notice a difference? 

Hello David,

Thank you for asking, I do have a second unit that is still factory so I can A/B them. I did just try that on headphones and to be honest there is very little difference until the music plays out on the Focal Alpha 80's I have.

I do notice more bass and the mid range does seem to have a tiny bit more depth, but indeed it's much more subtile that one would expect.

So to answer your question am I happy with the modification and do I truly notice a difference, Initially I was happy with the mod but now that you put me to the test I will have to do some more testing and get back to you. So far as recording a room microphone with a Native American Flute, I notice hardly any difference at all. The big test will be Bass guitar, I will let you know later my results. So far I would say it's not a big difference at all.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, onewave said:

Not on your list but Focusrite Clarett+ would be a good choice also, the mic preamps have won "best mic preamp" category in Sound on Sound's 2023 annual award. 

I've been using the original Clarett 8preX since late 2015, got a modification done by Revive Audio and can vouch that they are great units with low latency for tracking w/plugins...

It was not on my list because it was never mentioned on the forums where I've searched and the price here in Canada for the Clarett 2 pre (679$) is almost double the price of the ssl 2+ (319$ right now instead of 389$) and also higher then the audient id14 mkii and volt 276 (419$)... For this budget you get the Apollo solo thunderbolt (619$) and at top of  my budget the motu mk5 (859$)..... The problem is that I get different answers  so I guess they are all good and are a Mather of preference.

So right now I am just trying to get the best input for my guitar and the best preamp for my vocal.... and I might go with the Apollo Solo

https://musicredone.com/products/universal-audio-apollo-solo-thunderbolt-3-audio-interface-heritage-edition?currency=CAD&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google Shopping&gclid=CjwKCAjw_MqgBhAGEiwAnYOAetfW3Qqe9FELu2l5vt1Xan5_sPYB8viAdlil8dLM4kuyQGJnDof5-hoCAZMQAvD_BwE

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Roy Keane said:

the price here in Canada for the Clarett 2 pre (679$) is almost double the price of the ssl 2+ (319$ right now instead of 389$) and also higher then the audient id14 mkii and volt 276 (419$)... For this budget you get the Apollo solo thunderbolt (619$) and at top of  my budget the motu mk5 (859$).....

Be careful to read all the reviews on the interface and pay attention to what reviewers say about software and hardware issues with your choice of computer.

Just looking now I read that the Apollo Solo sounds great but there is an issue with the computer going into sleep mode.

I tend to read the negative reviews first, see what really ticks people off about the interface. I would read all the reviews on Google and check professional use as well, do professionals use this platform and what do they have to say about it?

• Solution
9 hours ago, Roy Keane said:

I guess they are all good and are a Mather of preference.

I would say that's a good way to sum it up, there's no clear winner. The Focusrite 2i2 has been recommended a LOT by many Logic users and I suppose the Clarett+ is a step up from that. 

The SSL2 has also gotten mostly good reviews from what I've seen. 

2 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

I would say that's a good way to sum it up, there's no clear winner. The Focusrite 2i2 has been recommended a LOT by many Logic users and I suppose the Clarett+ is a step up from that. 

The SSL2 has also gotten mostly good reviews from what I've seen. 

Thanks all for your help. Changed my mind once again. Ill go with the id14 mkII..for all the test and numbers Ive seen it seems to be the best but we might be splitting hair .. (not sure you say that in english!) 

• Like 2