Logic doesn't follow volume automation

Sir Hannes

Hi,

this is what's happening: Ultrabeat-Track on -12dB volume. I change the automation lane at one bar to quiet -27dB. Now in loop, Logic isn't following, it jumps back to -12. Starting 1 bar before the points, it goes to to -27. In between the regions it jumps back.

So: seems to be region volume, right? Opening piano role, going to region and main: volume: nothing, it's free. I never use region volume.

But: I see dark yellow numbers -12dB in the background. I can't reach them. I open Event list and activate view for everything: nothing. I push the automation lane to -15dB for clearance. If I create a new midi region = I see -12dB still. 

I had a CH1 and a CH2 track from the same Ultrabeat. From version 9 I now, that you could draw on each volume automation lanes which then got into conflict. I re-created that track, but there's nothing. Also before I delete anything, I checked it.

What happened here?

Edited by Sir Hannes

3 hours ago, Sir Hannes said:

To the track, of course. I am aware of these differences. That's why I am so confused. Using Logic since 15 years, this problem is new to me.

Sorry, don´t want to offend you, probably you know more about Logic than me. But are you aware of the "Region automation takes priority over track automation" setting in the Project settings? Though it shouldn´t be the cause of your problem.

Project settings.png

On 3/20/2023 at 2:17 PM, David Nahmani said:

A screenshot may not be enough for us to help troubleshoot.

You can attach only the project file (not the whole folder). If it's still too big, save a copy and in the copy, remove all tracks and regions but the one(s) necessary to reproduce the issue, and attach that here. 

Hi David,

I did: I deleted all tracks, all objects, all audio in the bin. I deleted furthermore the undo history.

The session consists only 1 track with nothing in it. It's 61,1MB big.

On 3/20/2023 at 5:13 PM, Chatka said:

Sorry, don´t want to offend you, probably you know more about Logic than me. But are you aware of the "Region automation takes priority over track automation" setting in the Project settings? Though it shouldn´t be the cause of your problem.

Project settings.png

Hi Chatka, very polite opening, thank you for that. I checked this already. No, this is not the reason, I guess. 😞

Actually I threw of the UltraBeat as well from the track. So the track has 

- no instrument

- no objects

- no automation

- no plugins

Still, it jumps back to -12dB wheneve I hit playback. 😄

Hi David,

unfortunately I can't reproduce what you've done.

- I went into the event list, which is empty.

- I do not know, where to find the "main automation window". Wherever I searched for automation regions, I couldn't find anything. 

Could you provide me these 2 screenshots so I get an idea? 🙂

6 hours ago, Sir Hannes said:

Hi David,

unfortunately I can't reproduce what you've done.

- I went into the event list, which is empty.

- I do not know, where to find the "main automation window". Wherever I searched for automation regions, I couldn't find anything. 

Could you provide me these 2 screenshots so I get an idea? 🙂

You can delete automation regions also from the Mix menu.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/5/2023 at 1:21 PM, David Nahmani said:

I gave you the procedure with the key commands in my previous post. Have you tried that? 

Sorry for my delay, David.

I have edited most of shortcuts. Here, Command+1 doesn't do anything. I can't find it as I am using the German version of Logic. I tried Google to find images or videos to find "main automation window".

1 minute ago, Sir Hannes said:

I have edited most of shortcuts. Here, Command+1 doesn't do anything. I can't find it as I am using the German version of Logic. I tried Google to find images or videos to find "main automation window".

Oh ok then first open the Automation Event List, then open a main window: that main window will be the automation main window. 

Thanks for sharing. The important part is that the arrangement window is open, right? To make sure, that all "possible" events are selected?

Well, I could solve my problem by choosing mix/ automation/ delete all automation data. But that deletes all other lanes too. In a huge crowded session this is a not very effective  work around for me, sadly. 😞

Just now, Sir Hannes said:

The important part is that the arrangement window is open, right?

No, you need to first open the automation event list, then open a main window; that operation opens a special main window that is your automation main window. 

The automation main window contains regions that contain the track automation data, so that you can delete any automation you wish. 

2 minutes ago, Sir Hannes said:

I could solve my problem by choosing mix/ automation/ delete all automation data.

That does not work in that specific project unfortunately. The automation is not deleted when you do that. 

On 4/4/2023 at 6:52 PM, David Nahmani said:

Ok so I pressed Control-Command-E to open the automation event list, then I pressed Command-1 to open the main automation window, and deleted all the automation regions. It may look like they won't delete, but that fixes it. 

I knew about the automation event list, but not about the main automation window.

Learned something today, thank you!!! Cool! That's going to save me quite some time in the future.

Edited by wonshu
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

That does not work in that specific project unfortunately. The automation is not deleted when you do that. 

In that session I sent you, it worked. 🙂

Wow, never saw this window before. Do you know, why it can be so messy (like here in my session)? 

- tracks without any name, color, icon. But signed to a channelstrip. 

- the labelled tracks are weird: either they show to the output (which make sense, like I routed them to the Output). But I find Synth-Tracks and the channel strip shown is my Vocal-Bus. Doesn't make sense at all? Why is that?

- is it normal that the timeline goes up to 02:03:24:00.00 ? 😄

What is possible to do inside this window (except deleting)? Very interesting window...

Edited by Sir Hannes

You're not supposed to access that window, it's ... what's going on "under the hood", which is why they didn't take the time to accurately label things etc. 

4 minutes ago, Sir Hannes said:

In that session I sent you, it worked. 🙂

Oh ok - I remember that I tried it and it didn't work, which is why I resorted to using the automation main window instead. But maybe I never tried it, or maybe I remember wrong.