Static heard when Recording Midi AND listening to Recorded Midi

Danos

Hi,

Was just wondering if anyone has had this as well (or knows a cause/remedy).  Thanks!

Tracked Midi from a Piano (keyboard) via USB to Thunderbolt 3 (have done it many times before, including only minutes & hours before problem occurred) and noticed static on the "Yamaha Grand Piano" Track I was currently tracking.  Actual static.  As I was playing.  Checked the Piano and connections and it was NOT any of those, or headphones (as it was only occurring on select tracks).  I know it's midi (and not audio/sound) so was very confused.  And it even produced static sound on PREVIOUS tracking (from hours earlier) on another Piano track I had tracked earlier (also "Yamaha Grand Piano").  May have occurred on other tracks, but didn't check all of them, though Drummer worked fine and "Bass" Midi track was working fine.

I closed Logic twice and unplugged Midi connection, and closed MacBook Pro, and all is fine now (it seems).  When listening (ONLY), as in not tracking right now, Midi sounds like "Midi" (and how it should), as in no static.

So again, just curious if anyone has had this as well (or knows a cause/remedy).  

Thanks!

Edited by Danos

55 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

How would you describe what you're calling "static"? I suppose it's not coming from the track itself but from your audio monitoring chain. Wondering if it could be clicks and pops due to a small i/o buffer size? 

My buffer size is 128 (always has been actually).

Funny thing is, it SOUNDED like it was coming just from the 2 Piano tracks (1 that had previously sounded fine).  But I believed that wasn't actually the case.  And I simply had Midi in to the MB Pro and a straight headphone into the MB Pro as well (and the other tracks sounded fine).

It was warping the sound of the Piano tracks (only), not the other tracks.  And it sounded (for lack of a better term) static-ey and warped (hearing the Piano but with a warped/static-ey sound affecting it.

10 hours ago, Danos said:

I closed Logic twice and unplugged Midi connection, and closed MacBook Pro, and all is fine now (it seems).  When listening (ONLY), as in not tracking right now, Midi sounds like "Midi" (and how it should), as in no static.

So again, just curious if anyone has had this as well (or knows a cause/remedy).  

Yes, restarting your mac is generally the solution when Logic (or your mac) behaves erratically...

• Like 1