interception of hidden LPX events

vladistone

On 3/29/2023 at 7:07 AM, Jordi Torres said:

I was just demonstrating that it is possible to send out MIDI messages in response to the state of that button. Which messages you send entirely is up to you. 

would you to demonstrate your code?

On 3/27/2023 at 6:20 AM, Jordi Torres said:

Here is getting exactly that behavior orchestrated with the help of a single Hammerspoon (Lua) script:

GetCompareButtonStatusValueAndSendMidi.thumb.gif.194a5eece3bc1e91241fa5c4a359f8cc.gif

To be fair the above does rely on a bit AppleScript plus the SendMIDI command-line tool for sending a MIDI command out a specific MIDI port in response to the values gotten from the Compare button state.

The same could be achieved with Keyboard Maestro for those who prefer that tool.

On 3/26/2023 at 8:25 AM, des99 said:

One of these days I'll dig into the OSC protocol to see what's going on here, because Logic uses this to communicate between Logic and Logic Remote, and I think there's state transmission going on here. It may be that the OSC communication protocol in Logic offers some advantages over the older MCU protocol...

Hello @des99 did you dig into OSC protocol? how your result?

Finally, I managed to assemble a single applescript for adequate interaction from GUI LPX events (in this example, the "Compare" buttons for smart control)  to the MCU controller with SysEx and Note On transmission via Send MIDI.
I had to tinker with the problem of quotes that needed to be passed on the terminal command line for the ipMIDI port.
maybe not the most elegant solution in applescript coding?! And does anyone have any more interesting ideas on how the LPX Events GUI interacts with the virtually only 3rd party Send MIDI application.
knowledge sources on terminal command line via applescript shell script

global smartControl_panel -- global variables are available everywhere in the script
global compare_button
global compare_state
global portList
global portChoice
global gportName
set gportName to "ipMIDI Port 1"
-- reconstruction of returned message from command line "sendmidi list"
set portItem to (do shell script "/usr/local/bin/sendmidi " & "list")
set portString to findAndReplaceInText(portItem, "
", ", ")
on findAndReplaceInText(theText, theSearchString, theReplacementString)
	set AppleScript's text item delimiters to theSearchString
	set theTextItems to every text item of theText
	set portList to theTextItems
	set AppleScript's text item delimiters to theReplacementString
	set theText to theTextItems as string
	set AppleScript's text item delimiters to ""
	return theText
end findAndReplaceInText

-- assigning a MIDI port in the dialog box
set portChoice to main()
on main()
	try
		set portChoice to (choose from list portList with prompt "Which running MIDI-port?" with title "Choose a MIDI-port of destination")

if (portChoice is false) then error number -128
		try
			set gportName to "'" & item 1 of portChoice & "'"
		on error
			error number -128
		end try
	end try
end main

-- identifying GUI changes
tell application "Logic Pro X" to activate
delay 2
tell application "System Events"
	tell process "Logic Pro X"
		tell window "task 1 SSL setup 22 jan 2023 - Tracks" -- you will have to specify your own project name to restore the script to work
			(*
                the following lines find the smart control panel, by looking for
                 stable features of their respective toolbars. the first looks for the 
                 'Compare' button, the second for the 'Arpeggiator' checkbox. 
                 the doubled 'whose' queries look confusing, but basically they say "Find the group 
                 whose first group is a toolbar, whose last (slider's/radiobutton's) description is...  
                 Once we have those, we can reliably find these area, regardless of whether other groups 
                 are opened or closed"
            	*)
			try
				set smartControl_panel to first group whose its (first UI element whose role description is "toolbar")'s last checkbox's description is "Arpeggiator"
			on error
				-- if smart control panel is not open, so open it by LPX key-command keystroke "b"
				keystroke "b"
				delay 2
				set smartControl_panel to first group whose its (first UI element whose role description is "toolbar")'s first button's description is "Compare"
			end try
			tell smartControl_panel
				tell first group
					-- log a list of all the visible UI elements
					log (get description of every UI element)
					set compare_button to first UI element whose role description is "button" and description is "Compare"
					-- log current state of the compare_button
					log (get enabled of compare_button)
					set compare_state to compare_button's enabled
					if compare_state is true then
						(*
						tell application "SendMIDI" to activate with raw sysex string by command-line of terminal;
						or Note_on message which were add at end of that string too, see step after EOX 0xF7
						*)
						do shell script "/usr/local/bin/sendmidi" & " dev " & gportName & " raw hex F0 00 00 66 10 12 00 43 6f 6d 70 61 72 65 F7 90 52 7F"
						-- do shell script "/usr/local/bin/sendmidi" & " dev " & quoted form of "ipmidi port 6" & " raw hex F0 00 00 66 10 12 00 43 6f 6d 70 61 72 65 F7 90 52 7F"
						-- another action option - click the Compare_button to toggle its state
						click compare_button
					end if
				end tell
			end tell
		end tell
	end tell
end tell

Edited by vladistone

Hi vladistone,

6 hours ago, vladistone said:

Do you know how to get the state value of the GUI object?

This is the bit of AppleScript I used to get the the on/off value of the Compare button of whichever plugin window has focus:

tell process "Logic Pro"
      get value of checkbox "Compare" of window 1
    end tell
  end tell

As for the other question you asked via private message:

6 hours ago, vladistone said:

is there a trick to recognizing the FX name of the dialog box, in the event that there are more than one of them open on track? i meaning - how to determine the FXnames of track into "windows 1", "windows 2" and so on using applescript?

If you mean the plugin name as it appears at the bottom of the plugin window, it doesn't look like it's possible to get that text via the Accessibility API/AppleScript:

Screenshot2023-04-15at13_59_05.png.7a032c1bfbac08ca15ea1dfe17d4ef8b.png

J.

41 minutes ago, Jordi Torres said:

Hi vladistone,

This is the bit of AppleScript I used to get the the on/off value of the Compare button of whichever plugin window has focus:

tell process "Logic Pro"
      get value of checkbox "Compare" of window 1
    end tell
  end tell

J.

Hi @Jordi Torres

You did discribed how to get parameter value the dialog windows.

but I loocking for the smart control area button, which haven't this "value" (see pic.) 

Accessibilityinspector.png.aadff699bca7d

Edited by vladistone

38 minutes ago, Jordi Torres said:

As for the other question you asked via private message:

If you mean the plugin name as it appears at the bottom of the plugin window, it doesn't look like it's possible to get that text via the Accessibility API/AppleScript:

Screenshot2023-04-15at13_59_05.png.7a032c1bfbac08ca15ea1dfe17d4ef8b.png

J.

yes, I ment that text area...

so sorry

Edited by vladistone
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, vladistone said:

but I loocking for the smart control area button, which haven't this "value" (see pic.) 

Oh, the Smart Controls area Compare button. Well, unfortunately it looks like you already have the answer. That button reports no value that can be used, unlike the 0/1 from the Compare button in the plugin windows:

Screenshot2023-04-15at14_52_43.thumb.png.867cf6cd8eab6a757a8fb10f317e2fa6.png

J.

8 minutes ago, Jordi Torres said:

Oh, the Smart Controls area Compare button. Well, unfortunately it looks like you already have the answer. That button reports no value that can be used, unlike the 0/1 from the Compare button in the plugin windows:

Screenshot2023-04-15at14_52_43.thumb.png.867cf6cd8eab6a757a8fb10f317e2fa6.png

J.

That's why I was puzzled in search of a workaround for triggering the value of this control area. Have you any ideas?

and according to my version of LPX 10.4

- I have the impression that the change tracking synchronization by compare_buttons between the smart control windows and the window FX / AUi dialog itself with which the smart mapping is created is out of order!

Edited by vladistone