When Switching To M1 Machine: Way To Know Which Plugins Won't Work?

Christopher11

I need a new computer and am thinking of replacing my 2015 MB Pro with a 2019 MB Pro with 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD.  8 core.  I think there is quite a lot I do with plugins and VSTs that won't work if I go beyond Mojave.  I was wondering, for those of you who made the leap, was there a way to determine which plugins would work with your new M1 machine and which wouldn't before you did it?

Thank you for any replies.

I simply used the Migration Assistant to move over, and, surprisingly, some plugins that haven't been certified for many years simply transferred and continued to work.

Vacuumsound ADT was never notarised to work with Mojave 10.14.5, so it couldn't easily be installed, but it never stopped working, and it still runs on this M2 Pro with Ventura. 

Same with Ohmforce Frohmage and Symptohm. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, analogika said:

I simply used the Migration Assistant to move over, and, surprisingly, some plugins that haven't been certified for many years simply transferred and continued to work.

Vacuumsound ADT was never notarised to work with Mojave 10.14.5, so it couldn't easily be installed, but it never stopped working, and it still runs on this M2 Pro with Ventura. 

That's fantastic!  So you had few problems switching over, and were pleasantly surprised at the stuff that worked.

20 hours ago, analogika said:

20 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

You have to research whether each one of the plug-ins you own is M1 compatible or not. We have a discussion on this topic: 

Will check that thread David, thank you.  I would imagine most instruments will see an M1 compatible release eventually anyway, if they don't have already, do you think that's true?

most (or many) plugins have already been updated (apparently, a lot of people are waiting for plugin alliance plugins, tho). but most should at least run with rosetta2.

i use 3rd-party plugins almost exclusively in logic, and they're all native (sad, tho, that some of the installers need rosetta). 

if you migrate, still worth checking to see if there are, in fact, native versions of the plugins you use. good luck with all of it!

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/23/2023 at 3:50 PM, analogika said:

Oh, ask and you shall receive!  Brilliant!  I just posted a question about Ohm Force.  I love those VSTs.  Didn't want to give them up.

• Like 1