One or the other?

mcylinder
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

There was an old trick I used to use with Pro Tools many years ago. You could have two tracks on the same voice channel. The top one would take precedence over the bottom one. If a part of the top one's region was present, it would over ride the bottom. I have an idea how to do something similar using comping in Logic Pro. But wanted to see if anyone was aware of an equivalent functionality? Like a track stack where the top most track (with a region) takes precedence?

• Solution
On 3/24/2023 at 2:57 PM, mcylinder said:

But wanted to see if anyone was aware of an equivalent functionality?

You can do something similar in Logic Pro by having two tracks assigned to the same channel, then whichever region starts last has priority. 

Once you have an audio track, to create another audio track assigned to the same channel, choose Track > Other > New Track With Same Channel.

• Like 1

If I followed correctly, please keep in mind that this might causes trouble if you're too fast. 

E.g. do not use automation lanes on 2nd/ 3rd ... channel track, only on first one.

And there was another huge new mistake I explored 2 days before which forced me to reduce an instrument track from 2 tracks back to 1 track (Ch1, Ch2, ..). Will edit my post if I remember that.

Just want to let you know: it's easy to create, but it might run you into problems, so keep an eye on it. (And apologize for not deliver you enough details, my brain needs holidays...)

I haven't experienced problems with that. It's something that is at the root of Logic's workflow and has always been possible: Logic is highly flexible when it comes to assigning objects (such as channel strips) to tracks. 

33 minutes ago, Sir Hannes said:

E.g. do not use automation lanes on 2nd/ 3rd ... channel track, only on first one.

Whatever automation is on the first track can also be displayed on the other tracks. The automation curves and on/off status, mode etc.. are tied on all tracks that are assigned to the same channel strip.