2019 MacBook Pro 16: Will It Run 32 Bit Plugins?

Christopher11

I’m 99% sure that the 16” will *not* run anything below Catalina. The 13” and 15” will, but not the 16”. The oldest OS a Mac can is what whatever was current when the machine was introduced. 

Towards the bottom of this page is a good chart of Macbook Pros and their OS

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacBook_Pro_(Intel-based)

• Like 1

On 3/24/2023 at 7:34 PM, redgreenblue said:

I’m 99% sure that the 16” will *not* run anything below Catalina. The 13” and 15” will, but not the 16”. The oldest OS a Mac can is what whatever was current when the machine was introduced. 

Towards the bottom of this page is a good chart of Macbook Pros and their OS

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacBook_Pro_(Intel-based)

Thank you for chiming in.  Okay, tell me please, would at 15" work then?  Like this one.  I like the specs on it. I need 32 GB of RAM and a 2 TB SSD. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/115746194437?epid=2327511268&hash=item1af302c405:g:TxkAAOSwCdNkIdo0&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA8A3X21s6gS3IYgRbN8GYFPR002riSzRsI0ZOArgaL78NaR8bCDWa%2BswLeLdw8eqclMltReySRMAZySGKMxOKo28mtzKLs0%2FixoOUo7R%2BvgqR1tchXqK4VRUfA1SXX2m9dkwpl%2Bvl7ysTbcvuZ1JpWfmrCpshrSkqiParpWluryugmpdAvkIqrazXqdchd17U1QKQP6GLbvNq%2Fp5k4WZGV0%2F5ObvNgGi37Ckca1VACXE0zdsGA88R8hmg9TdZIOYtibRb5m5HA5V2V82PaQxFDwrk2Veg8uD4WwrbOmPyl3r9s80NWaDZHgF185h8dk56%2Bg%3D%3D|tkp%3ABFBM7pzu2udh 

7 minutes ago, Christopher11 said:

Or better yet, could a 2018 model like this run Mojave?

I would be reluctant to spend any reasonable amount of money on an intel machine at this point. And especially any i9, every single person who has one complains about the fan noise. If you have a working Mac now I’d recommend buying an Apple Silicon machine and then use the older Mac as a host for the 32 bit plugs if you just can’t bear to let them go. Or, if you don’t need the portability look at a trash can Mac Pro. Those are going for not too much money and can run older plugs. 

• Like 1

I appreciate all you guys' opinions on Intel vs M1, but I know my own parameters and limitations at this time, and I intend to buy a newer Intel MacBook.  I use 3rd party software to control my Mac's thermals, and it works fairly well.  I can't continue to use my 2015 MB Pro, if i could, I wouldn't make this post. 

I would like specifically to know your opinion on if the 2018 machine I posted can run Mojave. That's it.  Just trust that I know what works for me at this time.  Thank you.

Edited by Christopher11
  • Like 1

I'd avoid the 2018/2019 machines for heat/keyboard reasons. In your shoes, and I needed a replacement machine, I'd pick up another 2015 MBP, personally. They will be cheaper, and better engineered for cooling etc... and they'll run Mojave just fine.

Not sure about whether a 2018 machine will run Mojave, offhand.

Edited by des99

3 minutes ago, Christopher11 said:

I use 3rd party software to control my Mac's thermals

So did I for a decade (I no longer have to on Apple silicon, it's amazing!) and my last MBP was crippled due to heat issues, so I'm hyper aware of heat and fan noise. Hence why I would stay away from the 2018/2019 machines personally (plus the well known widespread keyboard issues, particularly with the 2018s), and would get another 2015.

I'm just trying to give some data and opinions so you know what you're getting into, if you want to go for a 2018 machine and you think it's the best machine for your needs. ymmv of course!