Macbook air screen starting to randomly go black?

kerochan

Hi everyone, not directly Logic related I know,  but my travelling Macbook Air n screen has recently started to go black, then I have to swivel the screen to and forth a few times and it will reappear.

its from 2016,  end of its life?   I am worried that at some point it will go black and not come back on!

any thoughts?

Many thanks

4 minutes ago, fisherking said:

check the display settings in system preferences; are you running on the battery? check the power settings as well. altho... swivelling the screen? that could suggest something up with the cable that connects the base of the air with the screen...

Thank you, looks normal in the display settings in system preferences, not sure where the power settings are?

I am connected to the mains 99% of the time, not battery.

That sounds like either the LVDS cable is having issues, probably at the connector but there could be an issue with cable at the hinge. Neither are good news nor worth fixing on that machine given it's age if it more than just reseating the cable. 

You are here in NYC, right? If so you can take a trip to Manhattan and I can take a look at it. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, redgreenblue said:

That sounds like either the LVDS cable is having issues, probably at the connector but there could be an issue with cable at the hinge. Neither are good news nor worth fixing on that machine given it's age if it more than just reseating the cable. 

You are here in NYC, right? If so you can take a trip to Manhattan and I can take a look at it. 

Thank you,  I am in London actually, could still get to Manhattan I guess! 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, kerochan said:

Thank you,  I am in London actually, could still get to Manhattan I guess! 

I might be there in September...

Actually I might be, We are going to Paris for our 10th anniversary and I am trying to see about staying a few days longer to play a gig or two. So if anyone has an ideas for a gig anywhere from London to Berlin Sept  8-9, let me know. (not expecting to be paid, not getting a performance visa)