Logic 10.7.7 absolutely will not open in Ventura

utremifa

Hi all,

I recently upgraded my Mac Ultra 1 to Ventura and now Logic 10.7.7 will not open at all.  I've tried removing all the audio components and VSTs from my library and users folders but it still just hangs forever on the splash screen.   I spent two hours on the line with an Apple Techie, but he couldn't fix the problem either.  I'm waiting to hear back from him after he's spoken with some engineers about the problem (It's been three days since).  There must be a file gumming up the works somewhere, but I don't know where to look.  I'd like to try to fix this problem before I go nuclear and just erase the hard drive.  Anyone else experience anything like this and fix it?

Many thanks,

Vince Russo

4 hours ago, fisherking said:

do you have LP 10.7.6 or another 10.7 version? or try deleting the logic app, and re-installing it. seems it should work (unless something 3rd-party is causing the issue)...

and try @des99's suggestion (always try a @des99 suggestion... 👍)

Hi fisherking, I tried deleting and reinstalling Logic, but it doesn't help.  It clearly is a third party issue, but what that is is beyond me.

did you try @des99's suggestion? create a test admin account, open logic there...

you can try moving all the components file contents to a folder on the desktop (quit logic first!). the vsts are irrelevant.

IF it's better, quit logic, move a few plugins at a time back into the components folder, until you (hopefully) determine which is the problematic plugin.

reboot. open logic. still problematic? quit logic, go to the user library>caches... find the AudioUnitCache foler, move that to the desktop. try again.

or call apple again, give them your case# (if you have one), see if you can get better help (ie with screen-sharing).

or perhaps other, smarter ppl on this forum can help...

40 minutes ago, Renan C. Anjos said:

Open the Audio MIDI Setup app. Go to Window > Show MIDI Studio. Does the app crash when you do so?

Renan, do you mean the audio midi setup within Logic?  If so, I can't get past the initial splash screen before it hangs.

4 hours ago, fisherking said:

did you try @des99's suggestion? create a test admin account, open logic there...

you can try moving all the components file contents to a folder on the desktop (quit logic first!). the vsts are irrelevant.

IF it's better, quit logic, move a few plugins at a time back into the components folder, until you (hopefully) determine which is the problematic plugin.

reboot. open logic. still problematic? quit logic, go to the user library>caches... find the AudioUnitCache foler, move that to the desktop. try again.

or call apple again, give them your case# (if you have one), see if you can get better help (ie with screen-sharing).

or perhaps other, smarter ppl on this forum can help...

fisherking, I did try des99's suggestion--no luck.  I'll try the library caches idea tomorrow. Thanks for your time and help. 

On 3/28/2023 at 1:16 PM, utremifa said:

Hi all,

I recently upgraded my Mac Ultra 1 to Ventura and now Logic 10.7.7 will not open at all.  I've tried removing all the audio components and VSTs from my library and users folders but it still just hangs forever on the splash screen.   I spent two hours on the line with an Apple Techie, but he couldn't fix the problem either.  I'm waiting to hear back from him after he's spoken with some engineers about the problem (It's been three days since).  There must be a file gumming up the works somewhere, but I don't know where to look.  I'd like to try to fix this problem before I go nuclear and just erase the hard drive.  Anyone else experience anything like this and fix it?

Many thanks,

Vince Russo

Hi everyone, 

Thanks to all who replied and offered help.  After trying to correct the problem with Logic and Ventura for five days now, I've given up and am going back to the old Monterey OS.  This case is officially closed now.

9 hours ago, utremifa said:

Hi everyone, 

Thanks to all who replied and offered help.  After trying to correct the problem with Logic and Ventura for five days now, I've given up and am going back to the old Monterey OS.  This case is officially closed now.

Everything went back to working as expected on Monterey? Just out of curiosity.

On 3/28/2023 at 11:25 PM, fisherking said:

do you have LP 10.7.6 or another 10.7 version? or try deleting the logic app, and re-installing it. seems it should work (unless something 3rd-party is causing the issue)...

and try @des99's suggestion (always try a @des99 suggestion... 👍)

In that context, what do you and des  consider best practice to create a backup of an existing and flawlessly working logic installation, is it just Time Machine & Super Duper, or is there a better way to create a logic installation backup only?