Logic Pro 10.7.7 Issues (Ventura 13.2 + 13.3)

Remote Vision
Go to solution Solved by Remote Vision,

Hi all. I recently upgraded from MacOS Catalina to Ventura, and did a round of app updates, including Logic. Now Logic will not boot properly and is acting very odd. Here's the behavior: 

If I launch Logic, either from the Dock or the App folder, the little "active" dot under the icon in the Dock appears and the Logic menu bar appears, but that's it. It doesn't even get to the loading screen.

If I go up to the menu bar, and, for example, try to open a project or do a new project, the loading splash screen suddenly appears like it's been stuck in mid-boot. If I open a project with audio, I can get it to play, but the screen does not update at all until I click somewhere. Then it "updates" but it's still frozen: playback head, transport info, meters, etc. 

Here's what I've tried:

Removing all third-party component AU plugins
Trash AU cache
Trashing Logic's Prefs
Booted computer in "guest" mode
Deleted Logic app and reinstalled from App Store
Disabled all Login Items (iLok, etc.)
Reinstalled latest audio drivers (Focusrite Clarett)

I also tried booting logic with the control key held down, and some of the other options, including shift-control and option, but they don't seem to do anything. 

Not sure what else I can try. I see by way of google that the "Logic 10.77 + Ventura not booting" is a thing, but none of the reported fixes do anything. I'm a mastering engineer and have been using Logic & Macs for ages, and this one has me stumped. Any thoughts? Everything Logic-wise was working fine w/ Catalina. 

Ventura, in general, seems... not great, but it's what I've got now. Any help?

Edited by Remote Vision

5 minutes ago, N Sotts said:

I've been having some weird issues with distorted audio, cpu spikes etc. 10.7.7 is not agreeing with Ventura. I haven't found a fix yet but let us know if you do.

What substantially improved my M1 MacBook Pro performance with Ventura and Logic was setting the Process Buffer Range to "Small" and Processing threads to "Automatic".

Also, make sure most of your plugins are compatible natively. Logic's Internal x64 conversion caused a lot of CPU spikes for me. 

5 hours ago, Remote Vision said:

Hi all. I recently upgraded from MacOS Catalina to Ventura, and did a round of app updates, including Logic. Now Logic will not boot properly and is acting very odd. Here's the behavior: 

If I launch Logic, either from the Dock or the App folder, the little "active" dot under the icon in the Dock appears and the Logic menu bar appears, but that's it. It doesn't even get to the loading screen.

If I go up to the menu bar, and, for example, try to open a project or do a new project, the loading splash screen suddenly appears like it's been stuck in mid-boot. If I open a project with audio, I can get it to play, but the screen does not update at all until I click somewhere. Then it "updates" but it's still frozen: playback head, transport info, meters, etc. 

Here's what I've tried:

Removing all third-party component AU plugins
Trash AU cache
Trashing Logic's Prefs
Booted computer in "guest" mode
Deleted Logic app and reinstalled from App Store
Disabled all Login Items (iLok, etc.)
Reinstalled latest audio drivers (Focusrite Clarett)

I also tried booting logic with the control key held down, and some of the other options, including shift-control and option, but they don't seem to do anything. 

Not sure what else I can try. I see by way of google that the "Logic 10.77 + Ventura not booting" is a thing, but none of the reported fixes do anything. I'm a mastering engineer and have been using Logic & Macs for ages, and this one has me stumped. Any thoughts? Everything Logic-wise was working fine w/ Catalina. 

Ventura, in general, seems... not great, but it's what I've got now. Any help?

This was the caos I've went through

9 minutes ago, Renan C. Anjos said:

What substantially improved my M1 MacBook Pro performance with Ventura and Logic was setting the Process Buffer Range to "Small" and Processing threads to "Automatic".

Also, make sure most of your plugins are compatible natively. Logic's Internal x64 conversion caused a lot of CPU spikes for me. 

This helped it substantially.

Check if any of these glitches are present when outputting Logic to your device's external headphone output or its built-in speaker (in the case of a MacBook). If no glitches are present, it's due to the audio interface you're using. All of my USB 2.0 interfaces/DACs (one of them being an RME Fireface UFX) behaved erratically with Ventura + M1 + Logic 10.7.X - except the thunderbolt one, the Apollo Solo.

If it's the case, check my workaround above.

8 hours ago, Renan C. Anjos said:

Also:

Open the Audio MIDI Setup app. Go to Window > Show MIDI Studio. Does the app crash when you do so?

Audio/MIDI setup works fine. I have Cubase and Wavelab also on this computer and they're both working fine as well. Audio interface (Focusrite Clarett 8-Pre) is fine too. I looked around at the posts above, and don't really see any suggestions aside from CMD + 1 but that doesn't do anything, nor do any of the other "safe-boot" key combos.

It's like it's stuck booting - as I said, the launch-splash screen does not even appear until I try to open a new / existing project. Only the "active" dot on the dock and the Logic menu bar, but only if I click the icon. 

I've tried all this stuff, no luck. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT200260

EDIT: Is there any way to use the Terminal to monitor where Logic is getting stuck on boot?

Edited by Remote Vision

9 hours ago, Renan C. Anjos said:

@Renan C. Anjos what keyboard do you use? i had some weird looping like that (and some other quirks), caused by the roli lumi controller (this was on an intel imac; resetting the nvram & the smc fixed it.. until the next ventura update).

just try disconnecting any controllers, see how it goes...

I wonder if there's a 3rd party plug-in that locks the boot-in process, however you said you tried to remove them all. Did you make sure you removed plug-ins from both the root of your macOS install, and your current user? 

I would try to create a new user account on your Mac (not a guest account), and make sure you remove all 3rd party plug-ins from the root of your macOS install. 

And if you really try just about everything you can think of to troubleshoot Logic Pro and it still won't behave, you can always buy an inexpensive small SSD, install macOS from scratch and Logic from scratch on that SSD, boot your Mac from that SSD, and that should definitely work, or something is wrong with the mac itself and you need to get it checked out or get rid of it. If it does work, you can either work with the new SSD or continue troubleshooting what is making it not behave on your current drive. 

1 hour ago, David Nahmani said:

I wonder if there's a 3rd party plug-in that locks the boot-in process, however you said you tried to remove them all. Did you make sure you removed plug-ins from both the root of your macOS install, and your current user? 

I would try to create a new user account on your Mac (not a guest account), and make sure you remove all 3rd party plug-ins from the root of your macOS install. 

And if you really try just about everything you can think of to troubleshoot Logic Pro and it still won't behave, you can always buy an inexpensive small SSD, install macOS from scratch and Logic from scratch on that SSD, boot your Mac from that SSD, and that should definitely work, or something is wrong with the mac itself and you need to get it checked out or get rid of it. If it does work, you can either work with the new SSD or continue troubleshooting what is making it not behave on your current drive. 

Hi David. I went into the Audio folder, and then into the Components plugins folder and removed all the AU plugins, copied them over to folder on the desktop and then deleted them by emptying the trash and then rebooting. Is there a different or better way to make sure it's not a third-party plugin? (There are no plugins in my user library.)

I'm going to try to reinstall Ventura by the CMD+R boot and see if that does anything. It's the only thing I haven't tried. If that doesn't work, I'll create a new user account. 

I don't think it's hardware related as this happened with the OS & Logic update, and aside from Logic, everything else is fine. 

Thank you for the assist! I'll report back after reinstalling Ventura. 

2 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

Okay. I reinstalled Mac Ventura via a Recovery Boot, and I deleted the Logic App as well and reinstalled. Neither worked.

I also created a new Admin account and booted into that, and Logic was the same:

Launch App. Dock bounces and gets the active dot, Logic menu bar appears, but no launch/splash screen appears. Nothing else happens.

I can open the menus, etc., but not create a new project. Open project does work, and when I open an existing project, only then does the launch/splash menu appear. 

The project will open, and audio will play, but after a split second, the entire app will not update graphically. Audio continues to play, but nothing moves: no play head, meters, transport, etc. 

Another weird thing: when I open the plugin manager and disable plugins, and then open a session where those plugins are in use, they are not disabled. They load and open fine. That seems wrong - if they're disabled via the plug-in manager, it seems like in the past, a dialogue would open saying that plugin was unavailable (or something similar?).

It seems like Logic is deeply broken somehow with the update. I may have to try more than just deleting the app and prefs. Like a deep uninstall or something.

Any further tips or insight?

Edited by Remote Vision

• Solution
1 hour ago, Remote Vision said:

It seems like Logic is deeply broken somehow with the update. I may have to try more than just deleting the app and prefs. Like a deep uninstall or something.

This seems to have worked. I went into the library, (hidden) user library, and everywhere else I could find anything related to Logic, deleted it, rebooted & reinstalled. 

Now to redo all the preferences. Fun? No, but I'm happy it's working again. Thanks for the help all. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I had the exact same looping glitch that one of you described (when pressing play, the cursor was looping randomly for a few seconds before playing back). Logic Pro 10.7.7 Ventura 10.3.1 on a m2pro Mac mini. Changing the logic buffer size to "small“ seems to fix or at least minimize the problem. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I just upgraded to Ventura 13.5.2 and had similar latency issues as described above in the thread. I am on a 2019 Intel Mac Pro. The small buffer range helped some, however it did not solve some hiccups in some of my more complex projects.

After a ton of testing, I figured out that Brainworx plugins were causing some of the issues. Updating all of my bx plugins seems to have solved my issues with Ventura and Logic. Plugin Alliance did a PA major update to a large group of their plugs recently and it seems it is  required for Logic to work smoothly on Ventura macOS. Hope this helps some others. 

• 1 month later...

Yep. I had the same issue. Spinning beachball in my work in progress projects. I ended up rolling back to Logic 10.7.9 for now and all is peachy again. My issues seems to be with Waves plugins which I use in my template. Likely need to wait for a 10.8.1 update and/or some 3rd party plugins to get an update. I reported to Waves.  

• Like 1